Chapter Three

I paced anxiously around the sidewalk. I was supposed to be picked up today. By my real father. To live with him. I pick up my duffle bag then put it back down. I paced back and forth. I felt my heartbeat speed up. My breathing was becoming shallow. I was going to have a goddamn panic attack.

He could easily leave me here. Kim dropped me off, in the middle of nowhere. I could easily be lost forever. Be reasonable. You have a phone, you can call Kim or anyone else to pick you up.

But still, I paced and breathed heavily. Finally, what felt like decades but was probably a few minutes later, the black car pulled up. Michael wasn't alone, though. In the passenger's seat stood a younger version of Michael. Either James or Freddie. I carry my duffle bag clumsily and open the backseat door. I plop the bag on one side, and seat myself on the other. I close the door quickly behind me and fidget nervously. "Hey." The younger guy, my brother, smiled at me. "Hi." I replied, smiling back.

"Oh, right. I'm James, by the way." He introduced himself. "Nice to meet you." I mumbled. The smile on his face dimmed. I guess he remembered me from before I was abandoned. He was 13, after all. The drive was quiet, and I felt extremely nervous to move in with my biological family. I was also kind of jealous of James, Freddie, and Sam but I pushed those feelings away.

By the time Michael drove up the driveway of a really large, expensive house, I had already swallowed my own vomit 3 times. Gross. My fingers were numb and I felt like I was about to pass out. "You okay, Danny?" Michael asked, as he looked back at me having my nervous breakdown. "Yeah." I said, which didn't sound convincing to my own ears. I smiled slightly, hoping to ease Michael's worry. He smiled back, but I could tell he didn't believe me. Once the car stopped, I opened the door exited the car. I dragged my duffle bag out, and looked up. I felt my cheeks redden at the sight of 4 men staring extremely intensely at me.

I cleared my throat. "Hello." I said, smiling politely. The first rule of moving in with strangers; always, always be painfully polite. First impressions are crucial. The blonde one waved and smiled back. I'm guessing he was Sam. That must mean the other guy, slightly taller than Michael and slightly shorter than James, must be Freddie. I tapped my finger on the strap of my duffle bag. These people were intimidating.

"Come on in, Danny." Michael broke the strained silence. I walked towards the front door, awkwardly carrying my duffle bag. Michael held out his hand, gesturing for me to hand it over to him. "It's fine. You don't have to."

"It's no big deal." He said, and grabbed it before I could argue. He opened the door and all 4 of us walked in one by one. I could tell Freddie was nervous, he kept biting his nails then realising he was biting his nails and stopping. Then starting again.

The entrance was already bigger than any home I've ever been in. I tried not to stare at the rich people shit they have, but it's just baffling that people actually lived like this. That I was going to live like this.

"Would you like to see your bedroom first?" James chimed in. I nodded. "Yes, please." And so we walked towards the stairs. The house was 4 stories high. Containing my curiosity and admiration the best I could, I followed James into hallways. I could easily get lost in this place.

"This," James finally stopped at a door, "is your new room. We didn't know how you'd decorate it, so it's a bit plain. Just say the word and we'll go shopping for whatever you want." Just as I expected, the bedroom was large and luxurious.

There was a large window, with curtains draped on either side. Near the window, there was a large desk. The bed was king sized, with multiple pillows placed on top. There were two other doors, and I had an idea of what they were for. But what drew my attention the most, was the wall covered with bookshelves. Empty bookshelves, but just the thought of them being filled with books made me want to jump up and down in excitement. "Thank you so much! I can't believe- it's just- there's no way-"