Chapter Twenty Nine

Possible Trigger Warning: Profanity

Will's P.O.V

I'm so fucking sick of myself. I've been stuck inside this asshole who pushes away his best friend because he couldn't handle having a little fucking crush. I want nothing more than to just not exist anymore.

"William, get your ass down here!" My father called. I sighed and rubbed my face tiredly. I don't think I had a blink of sleep in a fucking week. I dragged my body downstairs and into the living room, where my piece of shit dad was drunk out of his mind with his "golf buddies."

"The school called." He said gruffly. My heart skipped a beat. "You're fuckin' failing? I gave you e'rything, boy. And this is how you repay me? I told your mom, I told her, I said: "don't you spoil this son of a bitch." And what does the whore do? She fuckin' spoils you. C'mere, boy." He slurred.

I shuffled my legs of lead toward him. He reached for his belt, and I cringed. He pulled out his belt. I knew that I'd regret what I did, but before he could whip me, I sprinted for my life. I ran as fast my stupid legs could take me. I was panting and coughing by the time I reached another neighbourhood.

I sat down on the sidewalk. I didn't give a shit that I was getting judgmental stares and that I probably looked like some homeless kid. I rubbed my face again and sniffed back a cry. I got up again and walked with wobbly knees. I didn't know where I was heading, but I wanted nothing more than to go as far as possible from my house.

I soon found a little playground, and sat on the swing. I was sure it would break from my weight, but it didn't. It was impossible to keep the thoughts at bay. Thoughts of how fucked up I am and how much I hated myself.

Danny didn't deserve that. He'd gone through so much. I was supposed to he there for him. Fuck, I was supposed to be his friend. And I wasn't. I was an asshole and I deserved to suffer. I wanted to talk to him so badly, but I didn't want myself to have that sort of comfort. I missed him. I was tired. Really tired. I just wanted to curl up somewhere warm and sleep. Possibly never fucking wake up.

•••

Danny's P.O.V

The cafe was really cozy. It was warm, and filled with the most beautiful scent of coffee. And strongly of croissants, cookies, and all things sweet. Lily, of course, was the thing that drew my attention the most. She had her hair up in a ponytail, strands of her curled hair framed her face. She was wearing a tight, white t-shirt and a black zip-through hoodie, baggy black jeans and a pair of red converse.

I pried my eyes away from her glowing face and explained an exercise we had solved about stoichiometry. She huffed in frustration and let her head fall back. A groan escaped her. "Ugh, I'll never get this." She pouted. I took a sip from my coffee and smiled. "Of course you'll get it. You're one of the smartest people in our class." I encouraged her.

"Yeah, but I'll never be first again. Thanks to you." She said, shoving my shoulder playfully. I smirked at her. "Fine, I can go easy on you." I joked. She frowned at me. "Cute." I said, and put my finger on the crease between her eyebrows. She really was cute when she was angry.

"Explain this part again. I get how we balanced the equation and turned this from grams to moles. But what's this thing here?" She pointed at the sheet and I leaned in. "Lavoisier's law. Basically, the stoichiometric ratio of this reactant is equal to that of this reactant which is also equal to that of this product and so forth." I told her.

"Okay... I think I get it. Hand me the pen." She frowned in concentration. I gave it to her and she solved it herself. She gave me a proud smile when I told her that she got it right. It made my heart flutter. "Again." She said to herself and solved the next question.