Chapter Seven

I stared at the ceiling of the room that was now mine. First nights are always the worst. It feels disorienting, wrong. Like you're living someone else's life. I've moved around way more times than I could remember. It never gets easier, never gets familiar.

I had turned the lights off, and was staring at the emptiness of the darkness. I wanted so badly to just close my eyes and let myself drift off. Just turn off my consciousness. Just remain in blissful ignorance of my thoughts, my surroundings, time, and this constant soreness of my body.

There was nothing I could do. I quickly grew unamused with my phone, finding social media not able to entertain me. I wanted to read, but it was uncomfortable to do so with the flashlight of my new phone.

I could feel that I was in the middle of so much space. The bed was insanely huge. The room itself was larger than any room I've ever stayed at. I wondered how rich people lived like this. How such luxury and privilege can actually be enjoyed.

I was engulfed in complete and total silence. Left with my thoughts and nothing else. Every now and then I could hear ringing in one ear, but then it disappeared.

My throat felt dry, and I realise that I had barely any water the past few days. The effects of the coffee were wearing off. I glanced at the time. It was 3:30 a.m.. I creeped downstairs, careful not to make any noise or accidentally trip over my own two feet.

I was in my light pyjamas and a robe I found hanging in my expansive closet, which also contained a pair of soft slippers. I turned the flashlight on my phone on, and this time knew exactly where to find what I needed. I opened the fridge and got a bottled water. Opening it impatiently, I gulped the cool liquid down. Immediately, I felt refreshed. I then turned to the cabinet where my Yoda previously revealed a bag of coffee grounds.

I went about my business, as quietly as possible. I did not want to wake the nice lady up again. And I shivered at the thought of what Michael would surely do to me if he found me sneaking around. I yawned inaudibly, feeling tiredness wash over me. Once I made my coffee, I gulped it down, the heat scalding my throat.

Feeling slightly more energised, I made my way back to the room, when I heard noises from one of the other rooms. It sounded like they were talking softly. Then I realised it was someone comforting someone else. Not wanting to alert them, I quickly shut the door.

I grabbed my phone and unlocked it, and found that someone had texted me. Who else would be awake at this hour?

Unknown Number
heyy

Me
Hey. Who's this?

Unknown Number
quit playin w me girl

Me
I think you've got the wrong number

Unknown Number
ah shitt, not againn

Me
Sorry to break it to you

Unknown Number
nah it's cool, not the first time a chick gives me the wrong nb smh

Me
That's rough

Unknown Number
ain't gotta tell me twice
u a girl or a guy?

Me
I'm a guy

Unknown Number
fine by me, i see both sides like chanel iykwim
u attracted to guys?

Me
No

Unknown Number
ah that's cool
how old r u?