Chapter Twenty Eight

I sat on my desk, studying for an upcoming chemistry quiz. I was adorned in a patterned, oversized sweater and a pair of my over-worn black pants. Scribbling away messily, I resolved our previous exercises on the lesson. My hair was still wet from a shower I took a mere 10 minutes ago.

"Breakfast's ready!" I heard Sam shout from downstairs. Yawning, I finished my sentences and put my pen on the table. I walked out of my bedroom, downstairs, and into the kitchen. Already there, Michael was, of course, drinking his cup of coffee with a book in hand. Sam was grinning proudly at his "masterpiece" as he called it. It was a batch of mouthwatering cookies. They smelled really good.

Freddie came downstairs. His eyes were still puffy from crying and lack of sleep. We had stayed up together, just talking about things. It was very comforting to know that I wasn't the only one who opened up. He sat down with a yawn and wrapped his jacket tighter around himself tiredly.

We all waited patiently for James to come back from his morning run. Once he did, not too long after, he was sitting at the table with us, all sweaty and smelly. "Disgusting." Freddie mumbled and James flashed him a toothy grin. "Love you, too, lil bro." He said, wrapping his sweaty arm around Freddie's shoulder.

Freddie shoved him away, pulling a face of deep disgust. I smiled at their interaction. They did this every time one of them came back home after a run or a workout. Freddie did work out, but he worked out at night. Sam didn't have a constant work out routine and I didn't have one at all. You can tell where the athletic genes were in the family. I obviously felt insecure being around them, with my awkward physique and lack of muscular strength.

James, as he always did, finished breakfast before the rest of us so that he can go shower. I had already finished my cup of coffee by the time Sam gave me a plate with 3 cookies. It wasn't a nutritional breakfast, but Sam loved baking and we were more than willing to indulge in his creations.

I ate them slowly and filled my mug with more coffee. Michael gave me a disapproving look, but I knew he'd think himself a hypocrite if he said anything; he had told me about how he used to drink so much coffee when he was my age as well.

"Danny, remember; your appointment with Dr. Cohen is today." Michael told me. I nodded. Shit, I completely forgot. "I'm so proud of you, Danny. You've come so far." Michael smiled at me encouragingly. Something about my dad telling me he's proud of me made me feel warm and happy. "Thank you." I smiled.

"What about me?" Sam asked, frowning comically. Michael rolled his eyes. "You, too, Sam." He sighed. Sam smiled humorously and Freddie smacked the back of his head, making him rub it and frown. "Danny, there's something I wanna talk to you about. Your girlfriend." Michael addressed me. Right.

I blushed and almost choked on my third cookie. Sam flashed me a smirk. "She seems lovely. Why didn't you tell us you were dating?" He asked. I tried not to laugh. "Well, um, it was still new, you know..." I replied. Michael nodded thoughtfully. "Would you like to invite her over for dinner so we could meet her sometime?" Freddie interjected. Reddened cheeks and widened eyes, I hesitated. "May-maybe." I muttered then cleared my throat. How do I tell them that I wasn't actually dating Lily?

"Aw, look how shy he is." Sam cooed, making me turn a deeper shade of red. I cleared my throat again. "Well, um, thanks for the breakfast, Sam. It was really good." I excused myself. Sam smiled cheekily at me but didn't say anything else. I walked into my room and let out a deep breath.

I laid down on my bed and stared at the glittering chandelier. Spots of colour danced across my vision after staring too long at the light. I could feel every inch of my body; I could hear the blood rushing in my ears, and the goddamn wound itch. I placed my hand gently on the bandages, and for a moment, I considered doing something incredibly foolish.