Chapter Twenty Seven

Trigger Warning: Physical Abuse

James's P.O.V

I glanced at Danny and his girlfriend. I felt as I did when Freddie had brought boys home before, and as I felt when Sam brought girls. This feeling deep in my chest. The feeling of worry. Of concern. Because I knew heartbreak was inevitable when they were so young. And I knew how shitty it was.

Danny was struggling to keep his eyes open in the backseat of my car. I volunteered to take him home instead of dad, because I wanted a private conversation with him. Something was bothering him, I could tell.

I dropped Lily off and she kissed Danny goodbye on the cheek. I clenched my fists, imagining what Danny would look like if Lily were to break his heart. Jenny held my fist in her soft hand. I turned to look at her and she gave me an encouraging look. I exhaled, relaxing my fist. I flashed her a grateful smile.

Around half an hour later, Danny and I were in the car together, and he now sat in the passenger's seat. He stifled a yawn and rubbed his eyes. "You tired?" I broke the silence. "Yeah." He said quietly. "What's bothering you?" I asked straightforwardly. "N-nothing." Danny said. But I noticed his hand moved over his stomach subconsciously.

"You're hurt?" I asked him, already knowing the answer. "No." He said. "Danny-" I began, but he interrupted me. "Yes." He rushed out hesitantly. I frowned. "What happened?" I asked him, concern lacing my tone. "Stitches reopened." He muttered. I felt my eyes widen and my heart beat faster. If he was losing a lot of blood...

"I'm fine. It's not infected and Adam helped me cover it up. The bleeding stopped." He said, apparently sensing my distress. "Good." I mumbled as I missed the U-turn back home. "James?" Danny said. "I'm taking you to the hospital." I responded to his unasked question. "I don't need the hospital." He said.

"Do you feel lightheaded? Dizzy? Sick?" I asked. "N-no." He said. "Danny." I prodded. "Fine, just a bit lightheaded." He mumbled, crossing his arms over his chest. "We're going to the hospital. End of." I told him with finality. "I can't." He said breathlessly. I frowned in worry and confusion. "What's wrong?" I asked him. I knew he wouldn't have answered if he hadn't lost blood and wasn't lightheaded and half-asleep.

"Nick didn't deserve that." He told me, breathing tremulously. "Who's Nick?" I asked him softly. "My b-brother." He whispered. His foster brother? "Hey, it's okay. Breathe." I told him, pulling over on the side of the road in case he was going to have a panic attack. "I wanna go home." He muttered quietly. "I'm sorry, Danny, but you're hurt and we need to make sure you're okay." I said gently.

Danny shook his head. "I... I can't." He breathed, starting to cry. "What happened to Nick?" I asked him. "He d-died." He sobbed. Shit. Is there anything this kid didn't bear witness to? "Danny, I'm so sorry." I said.  "I don't wanna go to the hos-hospital." He stuttered. "Okay. Okay, we don't have to go to the hospital." I reassured him.

Once he calmed down, I restarted the car and we drove back home. I was going to ask dad if we can get a home visiting doctor of whatever they're called. "You can sleep if you want. I'll carry you up to bed." I told Danny, when he yawned for the fourth time in a row. "It's fine." He said.

•••

Danny's P.O.V

I sat in my bedroom, feeling sick to my stomach. I had told James about Nick. I was an idiot. I wanted to read or watch something, but my mind was restless. Maybe for the first time, this restlessness wasn't negative. I was thinking of Lily. Her hair, her smile, her dimples, her eyes, her laugh, her voice, her lips. Her.

And then I thought about Will. And how much I missed him. I desperately wanted to talk to him again, but I couldn't live with myself if I caused him any more pain. And he was the one who wanted space, I didn't want to push him away further. I didn't know what I would do if he never spoke to me ever again.