Chapter Five

I grabbed my book from my bedside table, but I just kept rereading the same sentence over and over again. I heard noises from a room next to mine. I'm guessing it was Sam's room.

"So, how're you holding up, Sam?" Julie asked. "What do you mean?" Sam responded.

"Y'know, it can't be easy having him come back."

"Yeah, but we'll get through it. He's my brother."

"He sure knows how to hide that."

"What?"

"I mean, come on. He clearly doesn't like you guys."

"Why would you think that?"

"I mean, the way he acts... it's like he's going to jump you any second."

"Jules... why would you say something like that? You're being weird."

"I'm just looking out for you, Sammy. I really don't trust that Danny guy."

"'That Danny guy' is my brother, Julie."

"Since when? Like three hours ago?"

"No. Since I had pictures of me holding him as a newborn. We were living together for five years before-"

"Before what, Sam? Huh? Before putting him in foster care-"

"Talking about that shit is not in your place, Jules. What's gotten into you?"

"I'm just saying... maybe he was given up for a reason..."

"You have no fucking idea what my family's been through."

"I didn't mean to upset you, Sammy-"

"Get out."

A new voice interrupted. "Shh, Danny's in the other room. I'm pretty sure he can hear you two talking about him." James said.

"It doesn't matter, Julie's leaving anyway."

"Don't be like that, Sammy-"

"Get. Out."

"Fine."

I turned my attention back to my book, trying my hardest to stop the tears from forming. Julie was completely right. I was a stranger to them. I couldn't be trusted around them. But, I mean, what's a scrawny 15 year old going to do to a bunch of older, stronger guys?

I held my knees to my chest, and sat in the middle of the huge bed feeling so small. For the first time, I had actual living relatives. But I've never felt so alone. Once I hear the front door closing, I get up from my bed and go over to the bathroom. I look at my reflection, feeling nothing but disgust.

I put on a pair of socks and then my shoes. I walked around, looking for Michael. Maybe his office was upstairs. Just when I was about to get majorly lost, I heard a door click open. I turned around, and I saw Sam's blond head peeking out from his bedroom. "Hey, Danny!" He smiled, then walked out into the hallway. I waved awkwardly. "Looking for something?" He asked. "Um, yeah, actually. I was wondering if I could speak to Michael."

"He's busy with work. Hates being interrupted while he's in his office. Something wrong?" He asked, tilting his head and frowning. I shook my head. "Well, is there anything I can help you with?" Sam asked. "I'm not sure. I was thinking, maybe I-I could go out for a walk." I fidgeted with the zipper of my jacket anxiously.

"Ah, right. Rule number 2." Sam said, nodding thoughtfully. "Well, that's simple. Just text him that you're going out." He smiled cheerily, happy to have solved my problem.

"Well, the thing is..." I pulled out my phone. My ancient phone. "I can only use this for phone calls." I blushed. Something about being so clearly lower class while being surrounded by rich people was very embarrassing.