Chapter Fifteen

It was hard to resist Lily, but I did. Throughout the entire English class, I managed to not spill out every detail of every emotion I was feeling. I was exhausted by the time school ended. After English, I had biology with a weirdly calm teacher and then chemistry, with a teacher who looked like he had given up on life. At 3:00 p.m., I made my way to the school entrance, and met with Sam. I looked at him guiltily, and opened my mouth to apologise again, when he said, "don't even think about it." And smiled kindly.

"I just-"

"It's fine, Danny. That's what family does. It's not your fault. And anyway, I'm the one who should apologise." Sam interrupted. "But, you didn't do anything," I replied, confused. "I should've paid more attention to you." He said, looking down at his shoes. I shook my head. "There's no way you would've known. Your whole life doesn't revolve around me." I said, smiling at him.

Sam ran a hand through his hair. He seemed to be contemplating something. "Can I... hug you?" He asked. I nodded hesitantly, and he wrapped his arms around me. "You're my little brother, I need to protect you." He whispered. It took me by surprise. "I'm sorry, I've been hard to deal with." I muttered. Sam shook his head. "No, you've been great."

Just then, someone's car stopped in front of us. I noticed that James was in the car. Sam sat in the front seat, and I sat in the backseat. "Hey, how was school?" James greeted. He turned back to me and he froze. My fucking nose. "What happened?" He gasped. "It's nothing," I said, "I'm fine."

"Danny, please tell me what happened." He pleaded. "I was walking to my first class then I accidentally bumped into someone. Then he punched me. But it's alright, it doesn't hurt." I admitted to him. He looked at me sadly, then turned around and glared at the road in front of him. "Who was it?" He asked, anger coating his voice. "I don't know." I replied, fidgeting.

"James, calm down." Sam told him. James glanced at Sam then took a u-turn. "I thought I told you not to leave him alone?" He said dryly. "H-he didn't do anything wrong. It's not his fault." I spoke up. James sighed then rubbed his face with the hand not holding the steering wheel.

He looked at Sam who was looking down at his lap. James sighed again. "I'm sorry, Sammy. I'm not blaming you." He said. Sam nodded, still not looking up. "You're- you're right, though. I'm sorry. I just thought-" Sam cut himself off. I couldn't stand him blaming himself for something I did.

"I was the one who insisted on going with Lea, please don't blame yourself. It's on me." I said. James frowned. "Who's Lea?" He asked. "A girl in my grade." I muttered. James looked at Sam through narrowed eyes, then as if something clicked in his head, he nodded then left the subject alone. My phone practically exploded with notifications. I turned it on silent mode, and James raised a brow.

Will
hey danny, u ok?
i mean ik u aren't but like idk
actually nvm
let's talk abt lilyyy
so r u two like a thing now?
she's cute bro
but ofc i won't get in the way of my bsf's first loveee
wait, is she ur first love?
ofc a guy that looks like u has had gfs before

Me
Are you okay, Will? Did you take something? Or are you naturally this insane?
And, by the way, Lily and I are just friends

Will
first of all RUDE
second of all then u have a crush on someoneee
and someone has a crush on u
spill the tea, gurl. tell me all about the details like how her hair smells like flowers
how u get butterflies when ur around her
how u get mesmerised in her eyes

Me
Sounds like you're the one with the crush.
Who are they?
And Lily does not have a crush on me

Will
fine fine, keep it a secret
won't be too long before i walk in on u two making out
danny and lily sitting in a tree
k
i
s
s
i
n
g