Chapter 3 Derrick Says Goodbye

Rick and Derrick arrived back to the house just around noon. They left early so they could get there before Derrick had to make his 3:00 plane ride back to Saint Louis. As soon as they entered the threshold, Rick's smile that was there before, left completely. Edward and Kate were in the living room playing chess together and stood up to greet them.

"Hi guys! How were the slopes?" Edward asked.

"Beautiful! All though Alfonzo fell and hurt himself."

"Oh my goodness! I hope he's all right!" Said Kate anxiously.

Rick assured her he was just fine and would be well taken care of by his Uncle Dexter. His voice sounded gloomy as he said this, not because he was worried about Alfonzo, but because in too short a time, he'd have to say goodbye to the love of his life.

"Derrick I hope you were a gentleman to my son while you two were gone, and also to let you know that your mother called to make sure everything was set for the flight home."

"Yes sir, I was the perfect gentleman, and all right. I really hate to be leaving my hubby here, (putting his arm around Rick's waist.) "But it must be so. It's tearing me apart!" Rick looked at Derrick questionably, as he sounded just like he used to when he was a kid. He would over exaggerate everything and make false statements by sucking up to Rick's folks. He frowned at Derrick and took his hand off him.

"Listen, hubby, you leaving is tearing us apart. It's definitely not going to help our relationship." Without saying anything, Rick rushed up the stairs. A moment later, they heard the door slam.

"Was it something I said?" Derrick asked.

"No, of course not. Rick is sad to see you go, like all of us and Derrick, you really have shown us how much you've grown, and we appreciate it." Kate said warmly.

"Of course Miss. Summers. I love Rick, very much and I hate to have to leave. I'd give anything to have him come with me."

Edward put his hand on his shoulder and said he wished Rick could go with him too, but it just wasn't possible.

"I know I belong there, and he belongs here. I just wanted to thank you for everything. Being here brings back fond memories of us, but it makes me realize that we're both getting older with more responsibilities. Anyway, I should go up there and make sure my boyfriend is okay." Kate told him to hold on so she could give him a hug. Derrick appreciated this, from the bottom of his heart, and Mr. Stratton shook his hand warmly, patting his arm.

"Well, I better go face the music. Wish me luck. Any advice Mr. Stratton?"

"Derrick in a million years I never thought I'd say this to you but, just be yourself." Derrick smiled and sighed, walking slowly up the stairs as though he was on his way to the gallows, gathering his courage with every step.

Kate and Edward put their arms around each other and went back to their chess game, but didn't play.

"I'm really going to miss Derrick." Said Kate feeling like she might cry. "I hope he can still come to our wedding."

"Me too, and Rick would love to see him in a couple months, and I'm happy those two reconnected. I'm just not looking forward to what's coming next." Edward meant, his son's life without Derrick.

********************

Rick was looking out the window when Derrick reached his room and cleared his throat. Rick turned and smiled but it felt so fake. He looked back out the window and resumed his state of sadness. Derrick said hello to him but he sounded so far away.