Chapter 14 A Wedding And A Breakup

The night before Edward and Kate's wedding, Alfonzo was looking in the mirror trying to get his suit to look good on him. He then studied himself in the mirror. Through the mirror he saw someone else. Rick, but it was just his imagination. Something told him, this was a sign that he needed to tell his Uncle about his sexuality. He wanted Rick to be proud of him. He looked behind him and knew Dexter was probably reading a newspaper or something like he always did in the evenings.

Alfonzo went slowly over to him but didn't say anything.

"Oh Alfonzo you scared me. You always have a way of sneaking up on me and I wish you wouldn't."

"I'm sorry Uncle Dexter. Uncle Dexter, I need to tell you something."

"What is it Alfonzo?" He looked at him almost tearfully and Dexter stood up, feeling worried about him now as he didn't look like himself. He had a hunch that something was bothering him the last few weeks but he wasn't sure what. Alfonzo hardly ever talked to him anymore, at least about personal things.

"It's gonna be really hard for me to tell you this, but...just know that nothing is going to change about me."

"What's this about?"

"Amanda and I broke up, but there's a reason for it. I wasn't attracted to her. Would you be against me or hate me, if I told you that...I'm...."

"Alfonzo, what are you trying to tell me? Is this by any chance about you and Richard?" Alfonzo looked tearfully at him now and nodded. Dexter sighed heavily and put his hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you for telling me Alfonzo. It'll take me a while to get used to this, but I definitely am not against you and most certainly don't hate you. Come here. Hush it's okay, don't cry now."

Alfonzo couldn't help it, he balled like a baby on his Uncle's shoulder. His uncle stroked his back constantly, making his Nephew sob a little less now. Once he was quiet, he and Dexter sat down and talked about him and Rick.

"I sensed something was going on with you two, but I didn't know what. But recently Alfonzo, your eyes light up when you mention his name. Has he become something special to you recently?"

Alfonzo shrugged and told him he really wanted to be with Rick, but complications were holding them back. He even mentioned to Dexter that his mother wouldn't be too happy about him dating someone who had white skin.

"You're right she wouldn't be. You've chosen a hard path Alfonzo, I am happy that you've become something more than friends with Richard, but, unless you want to be punished by your mother, I suggest you end it." Alfonzo knew this would happen and he left his uncle, slamming his bed room door behind him. He was not looking forward to the wedding tomorrow.

****************************

But like it or not., the wedding came. Rick was at the moment struggling to find the best black suit for the occasion when his father knocked on the door.

"Hi son, you look very handsome. Someone is here to see you." Alfonzo came in with a shy smile on his face. Rick stared at him. My he looked gorgeous in a suit, and tie. Rick was falling in love with him all over again.

"I'll leave you to alone for a minute, but the wedding is going to start soon son. I'm getting married today! Whoo Who!" Edward shouted with happiness and left them alone.

Alfonzo smiled at Rick went over to him.

"Hey you, damn you look sexy." Said Alfonzo. Rick loved how shy he was being. He went over to him and straightened his tie a little.

"Thanks." They looked at each other with longing again.

"The things I wanna do to you right now, you have no idea." Said Rick in a deep voice.

"There things I wanna do to you too. Kissing you is one of them. Can I Rick?"

"Derrick is coming soon, he hasn't arrived yet."

"Well then, let's kiss now, we are alone aren't we?" Rick went over to the door and locked it so they wouldn't be interrupted this time.

Rick's eyes danced a little, before leaning in and ever so carefully, he their lips touch. This kiss was even better than the first one. They softly over lapped their lips, and then zigzagged. They were going in deep now as Alfonzo stroked Rick's neck. They breathed deeply too, putting all their energy into this moment as though they feared it would be their last.

Wet sounds were heard as their lips came apart gradually, and Alfonzo just held onto Rick afterword's, letting his cheek rest against his shoulder.

"I told my Uncle Dexter."

"You told him what?"

"I told him I was gay, and that I had feelings for you." Rick left his arms and smiled him, stunned and proud at the same time.

"What did he say?" Alfonzo looked sadly at him, and something told Rick it wasn't anything good, that his uncle discouraged them from being together do to their backgrounds.

"I can't believe this. Alfonzo, you said you'd fight for us, are you still..." Desperately Alfonzo looked at him and touched his face.

"Rick, I really want to be your boyfriend, more than anything. But...because of these circumstances..."

"Fine I get it."

Rick took his hands off his face and turned around. Alfonzo felt like crying as he heard organ music playing down stairs. Oh, by the way they had the wedding at the Stratton's mansion. Rick went in and opened the door and said they better get down stairs before they missed the ceremony. Alfonzo was getting scared now, he wasn't going to loose Rick like this.

When he and Alfonzo were heading down stairs, he bumped into someone before he took his place at the alter.

"Derrick." Rick breathed. Alfonzo couldn't watch these two reunite so he went to find his own seat.

"Hey you." Derrick was looking as handsome as ever but Rick was relieved to find that his heart didn't bounce in the same way it used to. He felt weak and helpless when he looked at Alfonzo now, but not with Derrick. Derrick was leaning into kiss him when Rick pushed him back a little.

"Not here Derrick okay? They're too many people. Besides I..."

"What? Rick I know things have been hard lately, me being so far away. But I still love you." Rick swallowed thickly and turned to look at Alfonzo, who was watching them.

"What's the matter? You're not saying it back this time." Rick looked at him, trying so hard not to cry when he said weakly.

"I'm so sorry Derrick. I hate myself for not telling you sooner but...there's someone else."

It was like a shadow spread across his face. First he looked confused, then crushed, and then down right depressed. Rick put a hand on his arm but Derrick didn't want his touch.

"It's Alfonzo right? He's your boyfriend now?" Rick told him they wanted to be together, but couldn't because of complications. Then Derrick asked if Rick no longer loved him anymore.

By now more people were filing into the now packed living room and taking their seats.

"I love you, as a friend Derrick. I'm so desperately sorry, I should have told you sooner."

"Yeah you're right. You should have. You better go, it looks like your dad wants you up there."

"Derrick..." Rick gasped desperately, but he turned and left.

Poor Rick had no choice but to go to the alter and stand on the left next to his dad. Dexter was Edward's best man and stood on the right.

He hated the fact that he just broke Derrick's heart. He had to know how much he still cared about him as his friend. Rick looked over at Alfonzo who was starting to tear up too, but smiling at the same time, watching Rick's folks getting married. It really was a beautiful ceremony, despite all the drama that was going on.