Chapter 12 All The Waiting

Despite everything that was going on between Rick and Alfonzo, and Alfonzo and Amanda, not even speaking now, the band was still in force. There was much laughing and joking and pretending to be enjoying themselves with their friends, but after everyone else had left, and Rick and Alfonzo were alone, they would try so hard to resist touching each other or being close to each other. They had this longing for one another that both couldn't explain. Alfonzo told Rick he needed time and space, but that's really not what he wanted.

***********************

At the end of band practice one afternoon, Alfonzo hung around like always. Both were acting so cute and nervous by this time. One wasn't sure what to do next it seemed. When Alfonzo was heading towards the door, Rick grabbed his hand.

"Stay a bit, please?" He nodded and went to sit next to Rick on the sofa.

Now that they had confessed their feelings for each other, and even had a romantic kiss, now what the heck were they supposed to do?! With Derrick, it was different for Rick. Right away, he felt like he could be all over him, with no hesitation, and Derrick felt the same way. But with Alfonzo it was different. For one thing he was younger than Rick, so he felt like he should take things slow.

"It's just you Rick, why do I feel so nervous around you? I never did before."

"Well, that's because you didn't have romantic feelings for me. You're not the only one who's nervous."

"It's just...Rick, I really want to be together. I've been dreaming about us since...I don't know when." Rick again felt his heart racing, and his stomach bouncing around with excitement. Rick bravely told him that he had dreamed of this moment too, but couldn't do anything about it and it killed him.

"I've never loved another guy before. I've never felt like this about anyone. I almost don't know what to do. I know you have some experience, I don't." Rick smiled and took Alfonzo's hand and set it on his lap. His heart was pounding hard now as Alfonzo gazed at him.

"Does this feel okay to you?" Rick asked. Alfonzo nodded.

"Rick? "

"Yeah?"

"When did you first start to like me?" Rick smiled. He answered honestly that he wasn't sure, but he always felt sad whenever he saw him and Amanda together and knew how happy they were. He had a hard time being happy with Derrick because he always thought of him, and not the way a best friend thinks of another.

"I really like you Rick. You might even say...I love you. I don't know how long. Maybe ever since Derrick came, maybe longer. I was ashamed of my feelings for so long I shut them out and kept them from you, I'm sorry." Rick set his hand on his cheek, and Alfonzo gazed up at him. There was no need to say anything else. They both had wanted the same thing for a long time, both were ashamed. Both were in love, and Rick still didn't tell Derrick about this, but it didn't matter, not now anyway.

"Can I kiss you?"

"I'm not saying no, am I?"

They both gazed at each other, and they both leaned in. Both did this a lot slower than when they first kissed. In fact they moved so slowly toward each other it was almost as if they weren't even kissing. Their lips were inches away from touching when Alfonzo stood up quickly, panting, and looking agitated about something. Rick looked up, curiously.

"What's wrong?"

"Rick? What about Derrick? Should we even be doing this? You're still dating him."

"I won't be anymore, I'm gonna break up with him and tell him that it's too hard being in a long distance relationship. Besides you broke up with Amanda right?" Alfonzo nodded.