Chapter XXXIII

After changing into my pajamas, I stepped out of the bathroom and looked around. The normally loud and chaotic house was now at a neutral tone, nothing but the hum of magic in the background to keep silence from the air.

I walked into the common where I noticed the sofa had a neat blanket laid on top. There was a boy underneath. Though it was too dark to see who, I assumed I knew who it was, and crept past silently. I made my way over to the table in the room and searched for a notepad, or blank sheet of paper. I found a pile of line paper, so I took one from the bottom and left as though I'd never been there after borrowing an ink jar.

I sat down at the dining table with Draco's quill-- I brought it in my backpack of clothes-- and began to write back to him. My eyes had already adjusted to the darkness, so it was easy. I didn't feel like stealing an envelope from the kind, hospital family, so I just decided I would send it like I did last time-- By hoping my owl doesn't drop the letter somewhere random.

No-longer-dear Draco,
    I'm doing splendid, thanks for asking! I'm staying somewhere for break now. A nice family, while thinking I'm Gryffindor, is allowing me to stay with them. And so you don't think I meant to write to you first, my owl stole that letter off my desk and flew away with it. It's a funny story, really.
    Anyway, you should put live worms inside your father's coworkers' food. If he asks you about it, you can blame it on those idiots. Or something else, it's up to you, I'm just trying to provide some advice.

P.S just because you told me to, I'm not signing.

I folded the paper with a smirk and left outside through the front door. Once I felt the wind, I stood still and closed my eyes. It was refreshing, but the slight cold chill in return made me come back to reality. Putting two fingers in my mouth, I let out a whistle. It only took a few seconds of waiting for my owl to appear.

She landed on the Weasleys' mail box and looked up at me, waiting for an explanation.

"You oaf," I cursed. "I should be mad at you right now."

Mellow danced in the mail box as if happy I wasn't scolding her. I shook my head but still smiled at the bird.

"Take this to Draco, as you did last time." I sent her a glare, but handed her the letter anyway. She gripped it with her beak, which worried me, but she seemed to know what she was doing since she had done it before (against my will), so I let her. "Good luck, Cutesy." I petted her under her chin before patting her head and stepping away, signalling her dismissal.

She flew off and once she was out of sight, I turned and went back inside. Despite the nice weather out in the country, it was still drastically cold. Once I stepped inside, I saw that the boy previously laying on the couch had sat up while I was outside. His head snapped towards me when he heard the door, his eyes scanned me skeptically. The tension in the air was high, neither of us have ever liked each other. He took my silence as a sign to speak what was on his mind.

"So, you're the girl they were talking about?" Harry Potter asked.

"What do you mean?" I slowly walked in front of him with my arms crossed, as though I was interrogating him.

"Mrs. Weasley told me another girl would be staying with us."

"Oh. Then.. yes, that's me."

"That's so weird," He thought out loud. "And they trust you?"

"Sure, much more than I can say for yourself."

"What?"

"You trust me less than they trust me."

"Well, yeah. You're a Slytherin." He stood up, facing me head on. He was taller than me, but I wasn't intimidated.

"Stop bringing that up, you don't know me!"