Chapter XXXIX

I was so wrong. It didn't work. He is so assertive, which is nice, to a degree. I just wish he would give me less room to overthink.

"Love," The masculine voice called from behind me.

I turned around, but I wasn't excited-- I was scared. I felt so scared. His voice threatened me, and his words-- though, calming-- felt like a trap.

"Come here," He beckoned. His hand gestured me forward, but I couldn't see his face. I could faintly make an outline of his arm, which seemed to connect to the darkness around.

In fact, everywhere was darkness. I had no clue where I was. It felt dry and humid. The air was thin and moist, like a mountain after a rainstorm. I walked towards him, and found that the floor was made of shallow water. That was all I felt. I stopped moving immediately.

I didn't feel safe.

"What's wrong?" He questioned, his tone giving away an ominous smirk that I couldn't see.

"Who are you?" I replied. My hands slowly went numb, and it was only when I looked down that I realized I couldn't see them either.

"Don't you recognize me, princess?"

No. How could I? I don't know anyone that made me feel so helpless. I felt pathetic; Like that voice, whoever it belonged to, could break me.

"Isn't it obvious?" His tone dipped into a booming echo, bouncing off the intangible walls of the nostalgic room. "I'm the one who's going to break your heart," He took a step forward so I could barely make out his face. He looked familiar. "Turn against you," He continued as he slowly walked closer to me with each passing syllable, his person becoming more visible. "Be your first love."

It was him.

"I'm going to tear you apart, piece by piece, until I make you into exactly what I need. You will play my part, kill the ones you love, and--

Wake up."

With a gasp, I was sitting up in my own bed. The man behind the voice was holding me, caring for me, loving me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his voice more gentle than I ever remembered it being.

I froze. My mouth was open. I was ready to tell him what happened, but I didn't know what to say. What had happened?

"What's wrong?"

"I--" I feel sad? No. Scared? Maybe. Loved? Sometimes. Tired? Certainly.

"What is it?" He held me closer, his grip tightened on the shoulders I forgot I had. My hands clenched onto my blanket, or his blanket-- I didn't know where I was.

"I had a nightmare," I finally breathed out. My voice sounded shaky. It was more fragile than I remembered. I felt so distant from my life in that moment, and confused as to what was real, that I had suprised myself by my own voice.

Draco watched me for a second, he seemed to be debating his words. His silence scared me, but his words scared me more. "I need to talk to you.."

"Just spit it out," I pushed myself away from him and sat beside him. If he was going to hurt me, I wanted to at least be able to feel comfortable without him. I couldn't.

"I got you something."

I blinked. Then, I slapped him.

"What was that for?" He yelled.

"You scared the bloody hell out of me. What kind of person says 'I need to tell you something'? Let alone a bloke to his girlfriend? It better be an apology. You know how scared I am of--"