Chapter 18

"Taichi Kanada in Morioka, in June. Osamu Shimada in Yokohama, in August. Hiroshi Yamato in Nagoya, in September. All three died in similar circumstances" Nitta explained to the first years, as she drove them along the highway. (Y/n) had sat in the front, forcing the others to begrudgingly sit in the back.

"They were stabbed to death by a cursed spirit, at the entrances to their apartments, and all three of them. Just these, before their murders, had filed the same complaint to their property managers. They call claimed they found the security doors left wide open" Nitta continued to explain. Megumi had an iPad out, which showcased the victim's files.

"None of the other residents were able to provide any other clues," Nitta said, ending the explanation. "But none of these dates or locations match. Maybe it's not the same cursed spirit?" Megumi questioned, trying to do his own digging into the mission they were sent on.

"Hey, wait, what if the spirit is messing with the doors? Do cursed spirits trigger those sensors, you think? They don't show up on cameras, right?" Yuji asked while looking toward Nitta. "Actually, the cursed spirit made the door operating mechanism go crazy. Not the sensors" Nitta explained, giving the group more to think about.

"Oh, mechanisms?" Yuji asked with a curious tilt of his head. "Yeah, as for whether or not the same cursed spirit was behind all three. We couldn't decision based on the residuals, too much time had passed by then. So we looked for connections between the three of them. And we discovered that all three had attended the same middle school for two years" Nitta informed the group.

"Which would mean, that all three must have received the same curse, and it didn't activate till years later" Nobara pointed out. This earned a glare from Yuji, jealous that she thought of something smart instead of him, and right in front of (Y/n) too. "Precisely, that's highly likely" Nitta confirmed while glancing back at Nobara, then quickly went back to paying attention to the road.

"So that's why we're on our way to their middle school now, we'll be picking up the fourth man. Who also went there and knew all of the victims. I'm assigning you four, to see what you can find out from him" Nitta explained, while Megumi enlarged on one of the photos.

"That's good, this job should be easy enough! I was worried, since (Y/n) was coming along" Yuji said while letting out a relieved sigh. "I'm glad he came along, I don't trust that clumsy slut to take care of him," Nobara said snarkily. "I'm fine, really" (Y/n) said reassuringly, despite his meek tone, but they both still heard him.

"Good! Because if you weren't, I'd go back and personally kick his ass!" Nobara exclaimed proudly. "As much as I'd like to watch that, you're not kicking anyone's ass" Megumi grumbled out. Nitta let out a sigh, already feeling a migraine growing from being around them.

~~~

Finally, they had made it to their only information broker for their mission, only to spot a funeral. "Is this the home of that acquaintance?" Nobara asked, seemingly not bothered by the funeral. "Yeah... Or it used to be," Nitta said nervously, leaving the group back at square one.

"Well... This sucks turns out he died the same way the other three did. He lived with his family, so there was no auto-locking door. But he was killed right at the entrance, just like the others, and he had recently told other family members that. Another time that he'd come home alone, he found that the door is unlocked, but it wouldn't open" Nitta explained to the group, as they got back on the road.

Left with plan B, they headed to the Middle School, Saitama Municipal Urami East Middle School. "I asked his parents about the other three victims. But they said they didn't know the relationship he might've had with them" Nitta said glumly, as they walked through the school.