Chapter 4

Sano Mizuki P.O.V.

"So even out here you're all alone huh?" I hear behind me as I take the fruit and crème crepe I ordered. When I turn around I see Ran behind me. He looks different with his casual clothes, which contains of a loose fitting sweat shirt and jeans. It shouldn't surprise me as much since I look very different in my casual clothes as well. "I usually am" I say. "But you seem to be alone as well" I say. "I'm not. I'm with my younger brother, but he's taking care of something right now" Ran says. He walks with me as I start to walk away. "So what are you doing out here?" Ran asks. "I usually wander about when my older brother is busy, or when I don't have to babysit my younger brother and sister. I don't have much else to do but it can be quite entertaining" I say. "Hmm I see." He says. "Aren't you scared you'll run into trouble?" Ran asks amused. "Not really." I say. He doesn't have to know that I'm always being watched. "Should I be?" I ask as I sit down on a park bench and start eating the crepe. "Hmm I don't know. They're some pretty unsavory people in Tokyo" Ran says, with an amused tone in his voice. "I'm not worried about such things. My family owns a dojo" I say. "I see, then why don't you stand up for yourself at school?" He asks. I don't respond for a little while. "I don't want to give them more ammunition" I say softly before continuing my crepe. "You really are an interesting girl" Ran says. "I'm really not" I say, as I finish the crepe and wipe my lips with a napkin. I look at him when I hear him chuckle. "It's just my opinion" Ran says. He then stands up. "Call me next time when you're about to wander about again. I'll come hang out with you" Ran says. "Why?" I ask.  Ran smiles slightly, but the kind of smile I usually don't trust. "It's more fun with a friend right?" He asks. He then walks away, joining someone that's probably his younger brother. For a moment I watch him leave. I'm not sure what his motive is, or what he wants from me. I stand up and start walking to the subway station.

Shinichiro laughs as he blows out the smoke from his cigarette. "Why does someone has to have an ulterior motive if he wants to be your friend?" He asks. I shrug. "Allowing him to be your friend, doesn't mean you have to trust him immediately" Shinichiro says, putting the cigarette between his lips. "He probably doesn't trust you either. Trust is something that's built, it won't happen over night. But it won't happen either if you don't give people a chance Mizuki" he adds. I sigh deeply. "Yeah I know" I say, scratching the side of my head. "But it's hard" I whisper. "I know. I never said it was easy. But it's worth the risk." Shinichiro says, taking the cigarette. "It's a start to get away from that loneliness you've been feeling" he says, blowing the smoke again. "What loneliness?" I ask. "I know you're not alone most of the time by choice. And you're not always hanging around here for fun either" Shinichiro says, looking at me amused. "Do you mind?" I ask softly. "Not at all." Shinichiro says. "But I do hope you'll make some friends" he adds. I don't respond. "Give him a chance. And if it doesn't work out, at least you tried" Shinichiro says. I look at my brother and I smile. "And when it does, you'll have a lot more fun. Trust me" he says. I sigh softly. "Alright, I'll give him a chance." I say. "Good girl. Now could you hand me that wrench?" He asks. I hand him the wrench he's pointing at. "What are you working on?" I ask, curiously looking at the pink scooter he's working on. "This isn't something you usually sell" I say. "It's not for sale" Shinichiro says. "Someone gave it to me, it's yours after it's fixed" he says. "Mine?" I ask surprised. "Yeah. It'll give you a bit more freedom won't it? It was supposed to be a surprise but it's finished soon" Shinichiro says. I stand up and wrap my arms around my brother. "Thank you" I whisper as I lean my head against him. "You're very welcome" he says and I can hear him smiling. "Now go on and head home before Ojiisan gets angry that you're late" Shinichiro says, patting my arm. I press a kiss on my brothers head. "I'm glad that you're my brother" I say, before grabbing my bag and leaving.

I'm just leaving the school building, when I stop walking. "Haitani-kun are you busy?" I ask. "Hmm? I'm not" Ran says. "I was planning to go to akihabara, want to join me?" I ask. I immediately hear whispers and chuckles around me. "She asked Haitani-kun out" someone says. "Is she really that stupid?" A girl says. "This will be so much fun" another guy says, and embarrassed I close my eyes. "Sure." Ran says. Surprised I look at him. He smirks. "Let's go" he says as he walks off. I speed up slightly to catch up to him, leaving the surprised class and school mates behind. "Are you going to wander about again, or are you going there for a reason?" Ran asks. "A bit of both. I was going to wander but I also watched to check for new manga" I say. "Don't you have a bookstore nearby?" Ran asks amused. "I do. But I like shopping over there" I say. Ran doesn't respond. "Aren't you afraid that they're going to treat you differently now?" I ask softly as we scan our public transport passesj at the station and walk up to the platform. "They wouldn't dare" Ran says amused. "They're probably going to treat you better too" he adds. "Hmm we'll see" I say as we step into the train. We ride the train in silence. "What made you change your mind?" Ran asks as we walk out of the train at Akihabara. "Hm?" I ask a bit surprised. "You were avoiding me" he says, looking at me with amusement in his eyes. "My brother" I say. Ran chuckles. "You need his approval?" He asks. "Not at all. But if he hadn't encouraged me to give you a chance, I'd probably be still avoiding you" I say. "Guess I should be grateful to him then" Ran says amused. I look up at him. "That's not necessary" I say amused. I stop walking to look at a window display. Ran steps beside me. "What kind of manga and anime do you like?" He asks. "Different kinds" I say shrugging. "It changes quite often but lately I'm into romance manga" I say. "Romance huh?" Ran asks as I walk along. "Yeah, does that surprise you?" I ask amused. "Not at all" Ran chuckles. "You don't like manga do you?" I ask amused. "I do enjoy it from time to time. Don't underestimate me" Ran says chuckling.