Chapter 12

Sano Mizuki P.O.V.

I look at Mikey and Emma, who're both sleeping with their heads on my arm. It's been a long and hard day as we had to bury Shinichiro today. They probably feel just as broken as I do. It took a while before they fell asleep, and I still see the dried up tears on Mikey's face. I carefully pull my arm from underneath Mikey and Emma's heads, while tucking them in underneath the blankets with the other. I press a soft kiss on Mikey's head before silently standing up, and leaving the room. I find grandfather alone in the altar room. "I thought you were asleep" he says as I walk in. "How could I sleep after such a day?" I ask softly, closing the door and sitting down beside him. I look at grandfather and he seems lonely. No surprise there. Not only has his wife died, but his son and daughter-in-law too and he has to take care of their kids. Now his grandson has died as well. "I'm sorry you have to take care of us" I say softly. "Hmm? I'm not. You're good kids" grandfather says. "I'm sorry you had to bury your brother today. I know you were close" he says, placing his hand on my head. "I'll help out more. I know Shinichiro used to do that a lot, besides working his shop" I say. Grandfather sighs silently. "I've got plenty of help around here. Focus on school and get a good education. That's all you need to do" he says. "Is something else going on?" Grandfather asks after a long silence. "Shinichiro was much better at being a older sibling than I am" I say softly. "I don't know how to do this. I'll never be like him" I add. "You don't have to be like him. You'll find a way to do it in a way that suits you" grandfather says. "I had so much trouble to adjust when Emma came to live with us." I groan softly while rubbing my forehead. "You were just angry at your father back then." Grandfather says, trying to console me. "I'll be the first to admit that he wasn't really a good person Mizuki. But you turned around eventually" he adds. "Because of Shinichiro" I whisper. Grandfather chuckles. "You give yourself too little credit, Mizuki" he says. "We'll be alright. Let's focus on healing for now" he adds.

From a distance I see Ran, with even more menacing people then I saw him with last time. His brother is right beside him, and they seem to have fun. But because he seems busy, I leave him be. Just as I continue to walk, I hear his whistle. He always uses this when I'm outside of calling distance, and he doesn't want to shout. I turn to see him wave. As I wave back he gestures me to come. I hesitate but do so. Ran wraps his arms around my shoulders, pulling me against him. "What are you doing here?" He asks. Even though he has a playful tone in his voice, I can hear that he's serious. "I was on my way to Shinichiro's shop, but halfway there I realized that no one would be there so I started to wander" I say as Ran presses a kiss against my temple. One of the guys slightly twitches his head when I say Shinichiro. "You seem busy, I don't want to disturb you" I say softly. "I'm sorry about what happened to your brother" Ran's brother says. Again that guys head twitches slightly. "Thanks" I say. "You're not disturbing" the twitching guy says, and his smile worries me. "You can hang around if you want" he adds. "What's your name?" The guy asks. "Mizuki" I answer. "Nice to meet you. My name is Izana. Kurokawa Izana" he says. His name sounds familiar but I can't directly place it. "Don't get any ideas, she's mine" Ran says. "Relax no one is stealing your girl" a guy with a face tattoo says with a bored tone. "Though I wouldn't expect you to fall for such a weak looking girl" he adds. That comment annoys me slightly and Ran chuckles evilly. "She might look weak. But she's anything but" he says. "Gee thanks" I say sarcastically. "That was a compliment baby" Ran says. "I don't see how looking weak is a compliment" I say. "Depends on how you use it to your advantage, isn't it?" Izana asks. "Maybe you should change the way you dress" the face tattoo guy says. "So someone else can try to steal her? No way" Ran says. "If someone steals her, you're not doing your job right" a gorilla like guy says with a menacing smile. "Huh? Say that again" Ran says annoyed. "Don't worry about it, no one is going to steal me" I say.

"Were those your friends" I ask, as I sit down on a fence, somewhere in an alley. Ran steps between my legs and leans both hands beside me. "Hmm sort of" he says. I tilt my head slightly. I can see him hesitating. "I met them in Juvie. I trust them, but I'm not sure if I'd call them friends" Ran says. It's the first time I hear him mentioning juvie, though I kind of knew that he'd been there. "Besides my brother of course" he adds with a slight grin. "Of course" I say, wrapping my arms around his shoulders and pulling him closer. "Doesn't it scare you, that I've been to juvie?" Ran asks. Instead of answering, I kiss him. He immediately kisses back. "Should it?" I ask softly as our lips part. Ran doesn't respond, and instead kisses me again. I kiss back and Ran wraps his arms around my hips as our tongues dance. I smile slightly when I feel his teeth against my lower lip when the kiss stops. "You missed me?" Ran asks playfully. "I did" I answer, grinning slightly. "Good" Ran whispers, softly pressing his lips against my neck. I close my eyes and tilt my head slightly to give him more room. Ran softly trails kisses down my neck, and stops at my collarbone. When I feel his lips against my jawline, I know he's done and I tilt my head back. "You have to go, don't you?" I whisper. "Yeah" Ran says softly. "Something Rindou and I have to take care of" he adds. I look away sadly. "But I'd rather stay with you" Ran says, turning my head back to him and softly strokes my cheek. "Then stay" I say sadly and pout slightly. Ran presses a kiss on my lower lip. "I promise to make time for you real soon" he says. "It's okay. I kind of disturbed you anyway." I say. "You could never disturb me baby" Ran says, smirking slightly. He kisses me again. "I promise to make it up to you" he says. "I know you'll make it up to me good" I say, smirking playfully. Ran chuckles. "You know I will." He kisses me, longer this time and I hold him closer as he does. "Come on. I'll walk you to the main road" he says, stepping back and offering me his hands. I take them as I jump off. Our fingers intertwine as we walk to the main road.