Chapter 11

Haitani Mizuki P.O.V.

Each time I think things are getting better between me and Ran, we have another big fight. And whenever we do, I'm the one paying for it. I look out the window of the car, at the lights and city passing by. "Well this isn't awkward at all" Akashi Takeomi says dryly to Rindou as he's driving. "It's best just to stay out of it" Rindou answers in the same tone. "Sounds like you're speaking from experience" Takeomi says. "Somewhat" Rindou replies shrugging. "You know we're sitting right here" Ran says. "I'm not being secretive about my curiosity" Takeomi says amused. "I don't know why I have to come" I say. "Because the boss wants you to, so quit whining" Ran says. "Where are we going anyway?" I ask, ignoring Ran. "You'll see it when we get there" He says. I sigh silently and look out the window again. "It just got more awkward" Takeomi says, though he seems amused. "Just shut up" Rindou says annoyed. Takeomi drives onto the harbor and parks at a warehouse. I don't like where this is going. I take a deep breath before stepping out.  I follow the men into the warehouse. It seems like we're the last ones to arrive. It's a typical warehouse stacked, as if it ships throughout Tokyo. A couple of gangsters carry some large crates toward us. Though they look at me suspiciously. "These the goods?" Ran asks. "Go ahead and take a look" Hajime says. Ran and Rindou open one of the crates after a nod from Mikey. Ran chuckles as he takes a couple of gambling chips from the crate and the others walk over to take a look. I don't, instead I walk over to Mikey. "Everything alright?" He asks. "Why am I here?" I ask, as I listen and watch the other executives compliment and look at the gambling chips. "I want to bring some of my business together with yours. This is part of it" Mikey says.  I don't respond as I know that even if I'd object, it'll  still happen. "So the idea is to combine a hostess bar with a cards den. In which of course the girls' job is to make the customers spend on drinks and bets" Hajime says. "So who will be in charge?" Mochizuki Kanji asks. "Ran and I will" Hajime says. Ran raises his eyebrows surprised. "And Mizuki will manage it" he adds. No surprise there..

It was like a knife in my heart to learn that Hajime sold all four of my businesses so I could manage their new business. Not that I didn't see it coming from the moment they took over, but still. But the professional that I am, I told my staff, cried with them, and cleaned my offices. Then cried some more when I actually closed the doors behind me for the last time. I haven't been out of my house since then. I received a large sum for all four of the businesses so I don't necessarily have to.  Just when I step out of the shower and wrap a towel around me, Ran walks into the bathroom. "Good, get dressed" he says. "Why?" I ask, raising my eyebrows slightly. "You've got work to do" he replies. "Work" I sigh. "Yes, as manager you've got plenty to do. So get ready, I'll be waiting downstairs" Ran says after a glance at his watch, then leaves. I get ready in the manner that I usually do, but instead of wearing a skirt, I'm wearing a pantsuit today. Ran compliments me on my looks as we walk toward the car, but I ignore it. The drive toward the new business isn't long, but silent. But as soon as I step out of the car, I'm shocked. The building, although surrounded by other nightlife businesses of Roppongi, stands out because it seems like a really luxurious club. It's a four story building and it's obvious it's ours. "The first floor is a hostess bar, second a host bar and the top two floors are for the card games" Ran says as he steps beside me. "Ready to go in?" He asks. I nod slightly. I'm even more shocked when we get in. The host and hostess bar are even more luxurious than I imagined, and the gambling floors a little less so, but still luxurious. The office is at the host bar floor, it's spacious with a hardwood desk, a comfortable desk chair with two comfortable chairs on the other side of the desk. The other side of the office has two couches, a low table and a wall with screens that show all of the cameras in the building. Even of those in the private rooms. "Ready to get to work in here?" Ran asks amused. "It's certainly higher class than my clubs were. We'll see, I guess. Won't we?" I ask, looking up at him.

Wearing jeans and a t shirt I walk over the first two floors of the club. It's still silent, but soon the staff will be flooding in, getting ready for opening night. Even I have a dress and high heels ready in my office but haven't found the energy to change yet. "If I knew you closed down for this, I would've complimented and congratulated you. This is a step up" I turn slightly to see my bartender from the host club, walking up behind the bar. He's already changed into the bartender uniform. I smile slightly. "This isn't my club. I'm just managing it" I answer. "Rumors are that it might as well be yours" he says. "Rumors are just that...rumors" I say amused as I sit down at a barstool. The bartender tilts his head slightly with a smile. "How about we drink a coffee before the chaos begins?" He asks. "Good idea. Make me a good one" I say. I watch him make two coffees, and put one in front of me. "Cheers" He says, leaning against the bar, as he lifts his own cup. "Cheers" I say softly, taking my own. For a moment it's silent as we both enjoy our coffee. "You hired anybody else back?"  The bartender asks. "I was able to get some hosts and hostesses back, but most of them are new unfortunately" I answer. "Well at least a few of us are back" he says. I chuckle softly. "Yeah" I mumble. "Oh here you are" I hear Ran says as he walks in with Hajime. "Ready for tonight?" Hajime asks as he walks over with Ran. "I guess, just have to change though" I say as they both reach me and I feel Ran's fingertips against the back of my neck. He presses a kiss against my cheek. "We wanted to go over a few things but you weren't in your office" he says. "I was walking around for a bit. But we can talk" I say. I see the reservation in the bartenders eyes, but he doesn't say anything. I drink my coffee and put it on the bar. "Thank you. I'll come check on you later" I say, as he immediately takes the cup away. He nods smiling before I walk with Hajime and Ran into the office.  "Everything alright?" I ask. "We wanted to make sure that you're ready" Hajime says, sitting down on the couch.