Chapter 17

Haitani Mizuki P.O.V.

"So for the past few days, I've been running around, getting everything that little boy needs. Making sure he is officially and legally ours, so no one can ever take take him from us. Everything to make you happy and this is the thanks I get?!" Ran snaps.  "I'm sorry" I say softly, avoiding his eyes. Ran grabs my jaw tightly, turning my face toward him. Forcing me to look at him. "You should be" he hisses. "I am, I am" I say, panicked as I grab his wrist. "I didn't mean to..." I say quickly. "To what?!" Ran asks. "I didn't mean to say it like that" I whisper. Ran scoffs as he looks at me with contempt. Somehow that hurts even more. "I'm sorry" I say again. Ran finally lets go of me, and I wipe the blood off my lips with the back of my hand. "Please don't look at me like that" I whisper. "Like what?" Ran asks, still obviously angry. "Like you hate me" I say, looking at him. Ran sighs deeply, then walks out to the porch to smoke a cigarette. I glance at the clock and walk into the kitchen to prepare lunch for Genji, so he can eat when he wakes up from his nap. "I don't hate you" Ran says, as he walks back inside. "You just make me so angry sometimes" he says, as he walks over. "I'm sorry" I say, without looking up. Ran leans his hand beside me on the kitchen counter. He turns my face toward him, making me look at him. "I'm sorry too, my love." he says, stroking my cheek with his thumb. I smile slightly.  Ran presses his lips against my forehead. "I'll go get him" Ran says, as we hear Genji cry through the baby phone. I sigh deeply when he's upstairs. "It's always the same" I whisper, rubbing my forehead. I glance at the stairs and grit my teeth. I turn back to the lunch when Ran walks downstairs with Genji on his arm. He still has tears in his eyes as he leans his little head against Ran's shoulder, as his hands hold Ran's shirt tightly. Genji rubs his eyes when Ran puts him in his high chair. "He still seems so tired" I say, as I walk over with his lunch. "He's been through a lot, he'll probably needs to catch up on some sleep" Ran says.

My head turns as I feel Mikey's fist against my cheek, and before I can react I already feel his hand around my throat. I grab his wrist with one hand and manage to kick my knee in Mikey's waist, twice and hear a soft groan escape his lips with each kick. He lifts me by my throat slightly and slams me against the floor, making me black out for a second. Meanwhile he pins my free hand beside my head while leaning his knee on my stomach. "Get the fuck off of me" I hiss, though my voice is strained because of his hand on my throat. "Hmm? I thought you enjoyed being treated like this" Mikey says. I look at him with all the hatred in my eyes as I can manage. This pisses him off even more, and he takes his hand from my wrist for a second, just to punch me in the face again. I feel blood on my skin and before he can pin down my hand again, I manage to land a punch in his face. This is being rewarded with another punch before he quickly pins down my hand. He pushes down his knee in my stomach as I struggle to get out from underneath him, as I feel blood dripping down my nose. When Mikey realizes that doesn't work, he starts to squeeze my throat, until I finally do stop struggling. "I know you're my older sister, but you really have to start listening, or I will kill you" Mikey says. "What makes you think that scares me?" I ask, my voice still strained. "I'm not afraid to die" I add. Mikey brings his face close to mine. "You might not be, but are you willing to risk your kids life for it?" He asks softly. I have no doubt that he would actually do it, so I finally give up and all my muscles relax. "I remember a time that you would treat me with respect" I say, when I feel his fingers loosening.  Mikey let's go of my throat and wrist, takes his knee off my stomach and sits down on it instead. He sighs deeply. Mikey looks at me, and his eyes darken, as if he only now realizes what he has done. "What happened?" I ask softly. "Too much. That's why you need to listen, and stay by my side" he says, softly stroking my hurt cheek.

"I'm going to be honest with you" Akashi Takeomi says, as he cleans the wounds on my face. "I wouldn't go to the club for a while, and if you insist on going, stay in your office" he says, looking me in the eye. "You said Mikey did this? Or did you mean Ran?" Takeomi asks. "Both actually" I sigh, scratching my jaw. "Both?" He asks, raising his eyebrows surprised. I nod looking away embarrassed. Takeomi sighs, putting bandaids on the cuts on my cheek and nose. "Why did you adopt a child, when you're already in an abusive marriage?" He asks. "I'm not in an abusive marriage" I say. "Tell that to your jaw" Takeomi says dryly, as he closes the first aid kit. I don't respond. "Did you think it would improve your marriage?" He asks. "It isn't as bad as it sometimes looks" I say, rubbing my forehead. "Okay. Let me ask you a question then, would you let Shin see you this way?" Takeomi asks. "Do you really think you can judge me, bring Shin-nii into it? Don't you think he'd be disappointed in you too a couple of times in the past?" I ask. Takeomi carefully turns my face toward him, forcing me to look at him. "You know as well as I do, that you don't deserve this" he says softly. Even though Takeomi annoyed me by bringing Shinichiro into it, I can't help but feeling so sad because I also know that he's right. I feel welling up in my eyes. "What do I deserve?" I ask. Before he can answer, a door opens and Takeomi lets go of my face. Ran doesn't seem that surprised. "Are you alright my love?" He asks, stroking my cheek. "I heard what happened. He got you good didn't he?" Ran asks. I don't really respond, except for a slight nod as I take Genji from his arm. I press a kiss on the little boys cheek as he wraps his little arms around my neck. There's a glistening in Ran's eyes as he glances at Takeomi, and he has an amused smile on his lips. Takeomi stands up with a slight sigh, before lighting a cigarette. "I have to go" he says. "Think about what I've said. Take care of yourself. I'll see you around" Takeomi says and leaves. "He's in love with you" Ran says amused, when Takeomi is gone.