Chapter 21

Haitani Mizuki P.O.V.

Being Ran's wife, I got treated with at least a little bit of respect. But ever since being beaten up by Mikey, it seems like that disappeared. It started to make me feel empty, and I simply don't care anymore. I realize this now that Haruchiyo's face is close to mine, and the angry glimmer in his eyes don't scare me anymore. Even when I feel him grabbing my jaw tightly. I'm not scared. "I'm starting to get really sick of your bullshit" he says. "Then do what you've got to do, Haruchiyo. I don't care" I say. He squeezes harder and it actually starts to hurt but I don't move a muscle. Then suddenly Haruchiyo is being pulled off of me and I see that it's Rindou and Takeomi who are pulling him away. "That's enough" Rindou says softly, and glances at me. Do I detect a little worry there, Rindou-kun? "Are you alright?" Takeomi asks, placing his hand on my upper arm. "Fine" I say shrugging. "Do you have a death wish? You know how he is, he'll kill you if you say stuff like that. Even if you're Mikey's sister" Takeomi says. "I don't care, Takeomi. I really don't" I say. This surprises him. "Don't you have a little boy in the spare room over there? Isn't he reason enough that you should?" Takeomi asks. I shrug as I run my hand through my hair. "No one else does, so why should I?" I ask. This surprises him even more but before he can say anything, I hear Rindou saying something but Haruchiyo has already tackled me, and is on top of me with his hands around my throat. Right at that moment Mikey walks in, followed by Ran, Kakucho and Hajime. "Stop that" Mikey says. Haruchiyo turns slightly. "You don't know what she said about you" he answers Mikey. "She's my older sister. She can say about me what she wants. She's the only one that can. Now let go of her" Mikey says. Haruchiyo scoffs slightly and stands up. But I stay right here on the floor, staring at the ceiling. Ran pulls me up at my arms, and brushes me off. "You alright?" He asks. "You should've just let him kill me" I say, looking him in the eye, then turn to Mikey. "It's time we part ways, Manjiro. This isn't healthy" I say and walk away to grab my son out of the spare room.

I took some stuff for myself and Genji, and left our home. At least for a couple of days. We've been staying at a hotel the last couple of days. I kept going to work, even though I had this nagging feeling inside. But Ran hasn't been by, or any of the other executives for that matter. I'm at the host floor, sitting at the bar doing some administrative work. Genji is sitting on top of the bar. He laughs when the bartender does a magic trick, revealing candy. "What do you say, Genji?" I ask, without looking up. "Arrigato" Genji says. "You're welcome kid" the bartender says, ruffling up his hair after giving him the candy. I hear a door slam closed. That isn't an employee. The bartender is thinking the same thing as he glances at his watch. "Oto!" Genji shouts happily. I sigh silently and glance over my shoulder to see Ran and Rindou walk over. "I knew you'd be here" Ran says slyly. "I had to be" I answer. I then feel his fingertips trail down my spine ending with his hand resting on my lower back. "Come with me for a sec" he says. It's not like I have a choice. I glide off the bar stool, as Rindou sits down in front of Genji. "Tell uncle about that nice car" Rindou says, as I walk with Ran to my office.  As soon as he closes the door, I feel scared. "I knew you were angry with Mikey, but imagine my surprise when I came home to an empty house" Ran says, walking over to my desk and leaning against it. I don't think I've ever seen his eyes this angry. "I just... I just needed some space to think" I say softly. "And have you?" Ran asks, leaning his hand beside him. I shrug and suddenly with one hard pull, Ran pulls me toward him. Stopping me as I'm right in front of him. It surprised me, so I automatically look at him scared. This is exactly what he wanted so a slight smile appears on Ran's lips, though his eyes are still so angry. "If you want to leave me, that's fine" he says softly, as he strokes my cheek. Liar. His face changes, showing all his anger as he grabs my jaw tightly. "But you're not taking my son" he says.

I turn my face toward the blowing wind. Here I am again, stuck in this penthouse with the people I grew to hate so much. I place my hands on the railing and look down. I feel a soft pull at the collar of my shirt. "Don't even think about it" Ran says. "I wasn't doing anything" I say. "Yet" he says. "You're imagining things" I scoff. "Am I though?" Ran asks, stepping beside me. I look at my husband. "You are" I say. An amused smile appears on his lips. "What is so funny?" I ask. "Nothing. Do you remember the first time we were admiring the skyline like this?" Ran asks. I sigh deeply. "I remember every first we had Ran" I say. "I remember the first time I saw you, and the first time we talked" I add. "I remember the first time you smiled at me and teased me." I say. Ran smiles slightly but I can see in his eyes that he knows what's up. "I remember the first time you kissed me, and the first time you touched me sexually. I remember the first time we had sex and the first time you told me you loved me" I say. I stay silent for a little while, as Ran's smile disappears. "I also remember our first fight. The first time you hit me and the first time you made me feel worthless. I remember the first time you promised it would never happen again." I say softly. I glance at my husband. "And now for the first time I feel like I can never escape" I add. Ran smiles again, though his eyes don't. "You became the mother of my child. Even if you leave me, I'll always be in your life. Even if you try to take our son, I'll always find and always look for you" Ran says. I sigh again deeply. "I know" I say. "I also remember a couple of firsts" Ran says. "The first time you smiled and blushed at me. The way it made me feel was certainly a first" he says, and I look at him a little surprised. "As well as the first time you had a miscarriage." Ran says, and strokes my hair behind my ear. "I might seem cold and heartless to you. And I know I have my faults, but I'm only human" Ran says. I look at him. Again he reins me in.