Chapter 5

Haitani Mizuki P.O.V.

My cheek is burning, it hurts so much but I don't flinch when Ran strokes my hair behind my ear. "So let's try that again" he says, weirdly calm. "I'll do it" I whisper. "Good" Ran says, as he softly strokes the cheek he just hit. "I worked so hard for all four of my businesses. It's not fair that he swoops in and takes over" I mumble as I feel my heart break. "You'll be rewarded handsomely" Ran says, pressing a soft kiss on my cheek, the same one he was stroking, the same one he hit. When a tear escapes my eye, he kisses it away. "It's still your business, you still make the decisions" Ran says softly. "I just have to explain everything I do to Hajime" I sigh. I look up at Ran, into his violet eyes. "I'm here baby, you're not doing this alone" he says, stroking my cheek again. I sigh softly, push Ran aside and walk away from him. I put on my shoes, grab my purse and jacket and leave, straight to my host bar. "Welcome" I hear cheerily when I walk in. "Oh Mizuki-sama, did you forget something?" I look up to see one of the top hosts in front of me. "I didn't. I can come in for a drink right?" I ask, tilting my head slightly and smiling sadly. "Of course. Would you like a booth or a place at the bar?" He asks. "The bar please" I say. The host offers me his arm. "Then please allow me to escort you" he says. "Thank you" I say smiling, taking his arm and walking with him to the bar. "Do you want some company?" He asks. I hesitate. "I'm alright" I say. "Call for me when you do" the host says and leave. "What will it be boss" the bartender says as he walks over. "A cosmopolitan please" I say. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asks as he starts making the cocktail. "I'm afraid I'll cry when I do" I say, slightly amused. The bartender doesn't respond until he finishes shaking the cocktail. "Well, I don't know if you heard but bartenders have broad shoulders to cry on" he says, pouring the cocktail in a glass and putting it in front of me. I chuckle. "Make me a couple of more and I might" I say. The bartender winks as he walks over to the waitress to get the order.

I hesitate but then sign the last page. Hajime gathers all the pages. "Pleasure doing business" he says. "Wish I could say the same" I say, leaning back in the chair. "You're in business with your brother, isn't that cause for celebration?" Hajime asks. The amused smile on his lips betrays that he doesn't even believe it. "I've built those businesses from nothing, to have him swoop in and take over when it's successful. How is that cause for celebration?" I ask. Hajime chuckles. "I don't know, and I don't really care that much" Hajime says. "Didn't think you would" I scoff standing up. "I'm not going to interfere with the day to day. You can still run it however you like" Hajime says. "Yeah, we'll see about that" I say, grabbing my purse and walking out. Ran and Mikey are both outside of the office I just left. Ran puts his arms around my shoulders as he pulls me against him. "How about we go out for lunch Hmm?" He asks softly. I glare at Mikey. "I will never forgive you for this" I say softly, looking him straight in the eye. "I know you're upset, but there's no need for that kind of language" Ran says. "You should really apologize to Mikey" He adds when I don't respond. "It's alright, Ran. She's got every right to be upset for now" Mikey says. "I just want to go home" I say, pushing Ran off me. Ran softly strokes my hair. "I'm going to treat you to a nice lunch, come on" Ran says, turning me slightly and walking with me with his hand on my lower back. I know he's looking back at Mikey. I know he's planning something as well. Ran presses his lips against my temple as we step outside into the sun. "This way" he says, softly pulling me with him. It doesn't take long for us to reach the busy streets, and as we do, my eyes meet those of the detective that raided my bar the other day. He'll probably see my sadness but I don't care. I take my husbands hand in mine. "Where are we going?" I ask. "You'll see" Ran says smiling amused. "It's a surprise, my love" he adds. "I don't think I can take much more surprises." I mumble.

I feel Ran's lips against my shoulder, and then my neck. "Won't you get out of bed? You're going to be late" Ran whispers. "I already let them know that I won't be coming in today" I say softly. "So you're staying home today?" Ran asks. "Yes." I mumble. "Alright. Then I'll be staying home as well.." Ran says. "No need, I'll be fine" I say. Ran presses his lips against my shoulder again. "I know. But I'd like to. I'll make you breakfast with amazing coffee" Ran presses his lips against my neck. "And all your favorite fruits like strawberries and blackberries and cherries" Ran whispers while his fingertips tickle my side. "Why?" I sigh. "Because I know you're upset, and I want to cheer you up" Ran says, wrapping his arms around me and his head leaning against mine. "Is this fun for you?" I mumble. "It isn't love, but I've got orders to obey" Ran answers. I don't respond and just hug my pillow. "Or is there something else you need to tell me?" He asks. "There isn't" I say. "Come on then" Ran says, pulling me out of bed. "Ran" I sigh deeply. "No, you're not going to stay in bed all day. Come on" Ran says, pulling me downstairs, positioning me at the dinner table. I lean my chin on my hand as I watch Ran making coffee and cutting strawberries and other fruits while humming. "Why are you so happy?" I ask. "I have every reason to be, don't I?" He asks. "I don't know...do you?" I ask, raising my eyebrows slightly. Ran glances at me smiling before he continues what he's doing. "Here you go. You need to eat well my love" Ran says, putting the fruits and coffee in front of me. "You're acting weird" I say. Ran chuckles as he sits down across from me with his own coffee. "Am I, or are you?" Ran asks amused, leaning his chin on his own hand. I frown confused. "Eat" Ran says softly. I sigh and start eating the fruits. "How about we go for a nice walk in the park this afternoon, maybe go to a market?" Ran asks. Suspiciously I look at Ran. "We could..." I say hesitantly. "Or maybe go out for lunch, or go see a movie" Ran says. "Why are you doing this?" I ask. Ran smiles. "Like I said love, I want to cheer you up"