Chapter 18

Sano Mizuki P.O.V.

It's been a couple of years since Shinichiro's death. But it still haunts me every day. I started a community college this spring, because it is what he would've wanted. I choose to major business economics because I simply have no talent and this would be of use to me. Ran choose not to go to college, but it seems he's become quite notorious, and it seems that Mikey is as well. I don't really know what happened there, but I always knew that I'm not as good as a big sister, than Shinichiro was a brother.
I close my eyes for a second when Ran presses a kiss against my temple while he softly squeezes my butt cheek. "Think about it" Ran says softly. "Hmm" I mumble. I sigh softly as his cellphone rings and especially when he picks up. "I have to go" Ran says as he turns my face toward him and kisses me softly. "I'll call you later okay?" He asks. I nod slightly, kiss back when he kisses me again, and then watch him leave. Then make my way to my scooter. "Should we tell Mikey?" I hear someone asks and tilt my head slightly to listen. The voice is familiar. "Tell Mikey what?" Another asks. Also familiar. "That we saw Mizuki-san with Haitani Ran" the first says. "I don't think it's any of our business though." The second says. Annoyed I start my scooter and drive away. I drive past some of Mikey's usual spots until I find him with Ryuguji Ken. "Neesan?" Mikey asks a little surprised. "Yo Mizuki" Ken says. "Kenchin, 'sup" I say with a slight grin as they both walk over. "To what do we owe this pleasure?" Mikey asks. Both are wearing what seems to be a gang uniform. Shinichiro had one as well. "Just wanted to check up on you." I say, taking the collar of his jacket in between my fingers, while leaning my forearm on the steering wheel of my scooter. I look up when more motorcycles approach. Baji and Mitsuya among them. I smile slightly, seeing their surprised faces. Ah so it was you two. "You're interrupting, Neesan, we're about to have a meeting" Mikey says, slightly annoyed. "I'm leaving soon, Manjiro." I say. This annoys him even more. Emma suddenly appears. "Neesan" she says surprised. "You're leaving? Can I get a ride?" She asks. "Sure" I answer, starting the scooter again.

I look up from my homework when my bedroom door opens, and Mikey walks in. "You're home late" I say. "I already got an earful of Ojiisan" Mikey sighs as he sits down on my bed. Curiously I look at my little brother. He doesn't usually come over like this. "I heard you got a boyfriend.." he starts, awkwardly. I smile slightly amused. "You heard just now? It's been going on for a couple of years, and I'm sure that I've mentioned him a couple of times" I say, still amused. "Guess I never paid attention" Mikey mumbles. "I guess" I repeat. "Did you tell us his name?" He asks. Mikey tries to sound casual but doesn't. I lean my elbow on my desk. "What is going on, Manjiro?" I ask. Mikey sighs deeply. "You've been spotted with a guy called Haitani Ran" he says. "I don't think that he's the right guy for you" Mikey says. "Good to know that I'm still being watched" I say, raising my eyebrows. "And its sweet that you're trying to look out for me, but even if it's true, wat makes you say that?" I ask. "You're not being watched. My friends just saw you" Mikey says. So they told him. Mikey hesitates. "I can't say that I know him personally, But I know his reputation. What he has done"  he says. For a moment I don't respond. "Are you one to believe rumors?" I ask. "Depends on the rumor, but usually I check it out for myself first" Mikey says. I don't respond again for a little while. "I'm not really sure what to say, Manjiro" I say, scratching my eyebrow. Mikey doesn't respond, waiting for me to continue. "Let me start with saying that I appreciate that you're trying to look out for me" I say, and smile at him. "But that is my job." I add. "I don't know about the rumors surrounding Ran-kun, and I've known him for a couple of years now. He's always treated me right, I guess that's wat matters, doesn't it?" I ask. "I'm not going to convince you, to break up with him, am I?" Mikey asks, frowning slightly. I smile. "No" I say. "Not unless you come with a better reason than rumors" I add. Signing Mikey stand up. "Alright. I'll find it" he says, making me raising my eyebrows. "Until then, please let me know the moment he stops treating you right"  Mikey says.

A little surprised I look at Ran, when I open the front door. "What are you doing here?" I ask surprised. "Good to see you too baby" Ran says amused. I blush embarrassed since I'm just wearing a tank top I use as pajamas with shorts. "I'm here because I have an appointment with your grandfather actually" he says. "Ojiisan?" I ask surprised. Just now I see he's dressed better than he usually is. "Come on in then" I say, stepping aside. After he took off his shoes, he follows me. Mikey and Emma seem just as surprised when we walk past them, and I even see a smug little smile on Ran's lips when we do. "Ojiisan?" I ask, opening the door to the tatami room. I'm even more surprised to see grandfather ready, seated with a matcha set. "I've been expecting you" Grandfather says, gesturing to the pillow in front of him. "Excuse me" Ran whispers slyly in my ear before passing me. I close the door. Emma and Mikey soon join me to eavesdrop. "I'm sure you didn't request this meeting to talk about the weather" Grandfather says, as we also hear the matcha whisk. "I didn't. I came to ask your permission. For the hand of your granddaughter in marriage" Ran says. My mouth falls open and both Mikey and Emma fall on their butts. Grandfather is silent for a while. "You do know she's only eighteen?" He asks. "I am, sir. As am I. But from the moment I met her I knew she was my soulmate and she keeps proving that to me every time I talk to her" Ran says. I can see that Mikey doesn't believe him, and even I have a hard time to. "How do you intent to support her at this young age?" Grandfather asks. "I have a steady job, with quite a lot of income for my age. But if it would comfort you, we can get married after she finishes her education. Which is of course important that she finishes" Ran says. "What does she think of this?" Grandfather asks. "I haven't asked her yet. I wanted your permission first" Ran says and Mikey scoffs. Grandfather sighs deeply. "You understand that this is a difficult thing to answer, as I've been responsible for her ever since her parents died. It's my job to make sure she's happy and healthy. The question is, is that something you can provide?"