Chapter 7

Haitani Mizuki P.O.V.

Surprised I look at Ran. "He wants me to join him?" I ask. "He does" Ran says, lighting his cigarette. I sigh deeply. "Has he lost his mind?" I ask. "Who knows" Ran says shrugging. "He wants me to convince you to do so" he adds. I softly rub my forehead. "So what are you going to do?" I ask. He shrugs again. "I'm not going to force you. To be honest I don't think it'll suit you. But I do understand him" Ran says. "We just want you to be safe" he adds softly. I sit down next to my husband. "So I'm in that much danger huh?" I ask softly. Ran stays silent for a bit as he slowly blows out smoke he just inhaled. "Well, you're his little sister, and you are my wife. Of course people are watching you. That should've been clear when the police raided your bar" Ran says. "Of course I knew I was being watched, but I never thought about people hurting me" I say. Ran strokes my hair behind my ear. "It's my job to think about that, and his." He says softly. I glance at Ran. "Are you scared?" He asks. "I'm not" I say, even though I am. "I don't know what to do" I say softly. Ran puts his cigarette in the ashtray, then puts his arm around my shoulders as he softly says "come here". He presses his lips against my temple. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you" he adds. "You're too important to me" Ran whispers. "I am?" I mumble. Ran chuckles. "Of course you are. You are my wife, I love you" he says. I look at Ran and he kisses me. "Do you doubt that?" He asks. Trick question. "I don't doubt that you love me" I say, turning my face away from him. I sigh silently and stand up. "I'm going to take a bath" I mumble, and turn to walk inside. "Mizuki" Ran says, before I can, and I look at him. Ran smiles slightly. "I'll join you soon" he says. "Sure" I say, hiding my surprise and walk in, straight upstairs. I start the bath, and for a moment I can only stare at the water. Then I sigh deeply, undress before getting into the shower. What happened to my life? I close my eyes and turn my face toward the water.

I open my eyes, feeling Ran's lips against my cheek. We're both laying on the couch, holding each other. It's been a while since we were intimate like this without actually having sex. We used to be like this a lot. Especially when we first got married, but also when we were still dating. But as Bonten grew, Ran changed as well. I kind of miss this. I snuggle my face into Ran's neck, and smile when he softly chuckles. "What's wrong?" Ran asks as I sigh softly. "Nothing is wrong" I say. "I was just thinking that it's been too long since we were like this" I add. "Hmm it has, hasn't it?" He asks when I feel his fingertips softly stroking the back of my neck. "I miss it sometimes" I whisper. "I do too love" Ran whispers. I raise my head from his neck and look at my husband surprised. "You do?" I ask. "Of course. I always enjoyed your touch" Ran says, pressing his lips against my forehead. "Guess I never realized" I mumble. Ran laughs. "I'm surprised that you didn't" he says. "I think I just thought of it differently" I say. Ran's eyes twinkle amused. "You're the only one with a dirty mind Ran" I say, chuckling amused. "Who says I'm having a dirty thought?" Ran asks. "It's all in your eyes" I say, poking his cheek with my index finger. "My eyes huh?" Ran asks, tickling me. "Oh stop that" I laugh, trying to catch his hands. Ran kisses me, and I wrap my arms around his neck as I kiss back. When our lips part, Ran presses a kiss against my cheek as he hugs me. This is the man I fell in love with. Although he was a boy back then. "Do you remember the first time we held each other like this?" He whispers. I don't respond for a little while. "Yeah. It was the night that Shinichiro had died" I whisper, as he presses another kiss against my forehead. "Looking back I'm grateful that you refused to have sex with me. I wasn't ready" I say. "I knew that. I knew that you would come to regret it if you'd lose your virginity because you were mourning" Ran answers. "I felt so lonely when he died, yet you gave me exactly what I needed. Even back then you knew" I whisper.

"Do you remember, when Shinichiro died?" I ask softly. Mikey doesn't respond. "It's when everything started to change, isn't it?" I add. "You changed too" Mikey says. "I did. I felt very lonely after he died" I answer. "I was still here. Emma too" Mikey says. "We weren't as close as I was with Shinichiro, or as you were with Shinichiro" I say. "Not that I didn't try... we're just different Manjiro" I say. "Which is why I don't understand why you want me to join so suddenly" I add. "Do I need a reason?" Mikey asks. "You do, Manjiro. You've been distant for years, and it's not my kind of work. You already have someone in your inner circle that does what I do" I say. "I need you to be safe, Neesan. I can't lose you too" Mikey mumbles. "I'm married to Ran" I say. "It's not enough!" Mikey says sharply. "Why?" I ask, looking at my little brother. "Can't you tell your aneki?" I ask as I softly stroke his hair aside, which immediately falls back. "I won't" Mikey says softly. I sigh deeply. It's silent for a long time. "Ran beats you, doesn't he?" Mikey asks. "He doesn't" I answer. "You answered that quickly" Mikey says. I look at my little brother. "You would've believed whatever you wanted anyway" I say shrugging. "All you need to know is that I need him" I add. "Why?" Mikey asks. "You'll know soon enough" I sigh softly. Mikey's eyes meet mine. "Do I need to hurt or kill people if I join you?" I ask. "Not if you don't want to." He answers. "I don't want to" I say. "Do I need to step away from my businesses?" I ask. "No. I need you to stay the face of them" Mikey answers. I sigh again and rub my forehead. "I'm worried about you, Manjiro" I say. He doesn't respond. "That is the only reason I'll join. And I expect to be included in those executives meetings" I say. "Naturally" he says. I stand up and look at my little brother as he looks up to me.  "Don't make me regret this, Manjiro" I say. "I can't make such promises" he says. I look up when the door opens and watch Sanzu, Rindou and Ran walk in. "Are we interrupting?" Sanzu asks. "I was leaving" I say after a last glance at Mikey before walking away.