chapter nine

Omniscient

Omniscient

May 12 2019

Hira's 25th Birthday Celebration 🤎

The sound of Ash-Leigh's Doc Martens along the marble floor echo as her brown eyes shift around the spacious bakery. A smile appears on her lips once her eyes meet the pair of green ones on the other side of the counter.

"Hi." She greets, shoving her hands in the pockets of her leather jacket. "I'm here to pick up an order." She speaks, adjusting the pair of Dior sunglasses on the top of her head; letting them get lost within her dark curls. "First name Ash-Leigh last name Badu." She states. The short brunette nods and disappears to the back for a few minutes giving Ash-Leigh time to look over all the cupcakes and cakes they had on display.

"Here you are!" The woman returns, placing the white box filled with the pastry onto the counter. "Thank you, thank you." Ash-Leigh expresses, pulling her debt card out. She hands it over to the woman then looks in the box as she does her transaction. "Your receipt. Thank you."

"You too enjoy your day." And with that, she exits out of the bakery and into the warm Spring air. She makes sure to take cautious steps towards her car, not wanting to ruin the cake that took two days to create. Once inside she places the cake in the passenger seat, pulls off, and makes her way to her brothers house across town.

In the midst of getting on the freeway she receives a call from Constance. She answers and puts her phone on speaker, placing it on her lap as her brown eyes look out at the road. "Hey baby. Just left the bakery. I'm headed to you guys now." She speaks as she merges onto the freeway.

"Perfect! Taylor is out right now with Hira. Maurice said we just need to hang up a few more decorations then we're heading over to the restaurant." Ash-Leigh nods and gets over in the top lane.

"How many minutes do I have, give or take?" She questions. It's quiet on the other end until the sound of commotion makes Ash-Leigh look down at her phone. "Baby." She speaks, waiting for her girlfriend's reply.

"I'm fine. Maurice just dropped something. I'd say fifteen minutes top, do you think you'll be here by then?" Ash-Leigh bites down on her bottom lip as she looks out at the traffic. "I don't know, maybe. if not I'll meet you guys there but after I drop the cake off." She explains putting her blinker on to get over into the third lane.

"Okay sounds great see you then, I love you." Constance says on the other end which causes a smile to appear on Ash-Leigh's face only to disappear seconds later. "Love you too." She says ending the call. She places her phone in her cup holder then looks over at the cake sitting in the passenger seat. She then looks in the rearview mirror at the gifts sitting perfectly in the backseat of her Porsche as the events from the night she shared with Hira flood her mind.