chapter fifteen

Hira Badu

Hira Badu

Mid June 2019

I lean against the doorframe of my bedroom door as I watch my husband enjoy his sleep. The last seven days have been beyond hectic for him due to being bombarded with work. I had no clue that the market was this active during the summer; many people were reaching out to him in regards to either leasing or buying a home. Somehow in the midst of it all he caught a really bad head cold.

Which meant that our plan to take the girls to Lego land would be canceled until further notice. "Mommy! Kinsley won't let me wear her jacket!" I look over my shoulder, down the hall then begin to walk toward the girl's bedrooms. Seconds later Kinsley and Skyla come running out of Skyla's bedroom.

"Because it's mine!" Kinsley tells her as the two of them approach me. I squat down to their level and look back and forth between them. "Skyla we talked about this baby girl. You and Kinsley don't share everything." I explain as I brush some of her hair out her face. She pouts and crosses her arms which honestly makes me laugh.

This was starting to become a daily thing between them. Constantly arguing over each others toys and or clothes. "But I want to." Skyla whines as she flings her arms around my neck and starts to cry. I begin to rub her back and sooth her. "I know baby but you guys are big girls now and big girls have their own things, okay." I say as I wipe the few tears that had fallen from her eyes. I noticed since I've been back from Aspen Kinsley was venturing off, trying to do things on her own while Skyla still wanted the two of them to do everything together.

"It goes with my shoes, mommy." She pouts as she looks up at me through her long eyelashes she inherited from her father.

"How about we get you a new jacket, do you guys want to go shopping?" I ask.

"What about Lego land?" Kinsley asks.

"Daddy is still sick, we can go next week." I tell them as the three of us slip into Kinsley's bedroom.

"When will he get better?" They ask as I sit in the middle of the floor.

"In a few days." I assure them as I sigh myself. The two of them were really looking forward for today, all of us were but it would be cruel for me to drag my sick husband around the amusement park so I had no other choice but to try again when he was feeling better. I pull all of my hair to one side and just look at my girls, debating on what it was the three of us would be doing today as a source of entertainment.

With them being on summer vacation I had to find something to occupy their minds and energetic bodies or else the two of them would turn the house upside down. Yesterday I spent nearly three hours cleaning the tile floors of our kitchen due to them having a tie dye session. It never dawned on me that the dye was that staining so now I have to look into getting a professional cleaner.