3

Since that day, Fushiguro started to talk to Yuji, in the upcoming days at school.

He's not a chatty person, but he sometimes ditches the headphones in favor of listening to whatever Yuji has to rant about. They talk about manga, and Yuji's surprised that Fushiguro is into that, really.

They talk about little things, like homework, and who's good at what subject. About the arcades, and the occasional anime that Fushiguro happened to be interested in.

Somewhere along the line, Kugisaki Nobara joins them in conversations, and neither of them seem to remember when that started. It doesn't take long for the three of them to spend all of their breaks together, mostly in class, chatting, and bickering while eating lunch.

Kugisaki likes to steal Yuji's food, and to tease Megumi about things, or bully Yuji into buying stuff from the store. She's not as overbearing as their classmates make her out to be, though. She's bossy and pretentious, with an ego the size of China, but she's also honest, strong, a good listener, and a damn good friend.

She's pretty good at subjects Yuji kind of fails at, and shares her homework with him, for a small price of course

It's the camaraderie he craved at his old school, especially after his grandpa got hospitalized. It keeps him grounded, and doesn't let him slip off into the weird thoughts that sometimes dwell in the back of his mind.

Yuji clings to that small warmth growing around him.

_______________________

Junpei runs, but it's never too long before they catch up with him, and corner him in an empty classroom, or a bathroom stall, or up on the roof.

It doesn't matter where they corner him, he knows. It could all happen out there, in the middle of the hallway, a teacher passing by, and nobody would lift a finger to stop it.

He wants to scream from the unfairness of it all, wants to break the windows, and throw the desks right through the glass, wants to spit in their faces for once. He doesn't, though. He holds it in, because they love drawing a reaction from him. He doesn't want to give it to them.

The only reaction he wants to have would be too big for him, too much for quiet, withdrawn, Yoshino. What would his mom think? He doesn't want to disappoint her like that.

When it's over, he lies there on the cold concrete for a while, hears the chime ring, but he aches all over, and he can't bring himself to get up and go to class. So he looks at the clouds, letting the wind sting his face, and eventually closes his eyes, waiting for the pain to subside.

He dozes off, failing to hear the door leading to the rooftop open, and close.

"Hey. Mind if I sit here?" A vaguely familiar voice asks, and Junpei startles awake, blinking rapidly at the sudden light blinding him.

"Oh, sorry. Were you taking a nap?" There was a guy with pink hair looking down at him, lunch in hand. Junpei recognizedhim.

He straightens from his position, but doesn't get up.

"It's alright, go ahead" he answers, his voice sounding small, and hoarse. His mouth feels paper thin.

"Thanks!" The guy says, and sits down, too close for Junpei's comfort, but a distance that other people would consider normal. His lunch consists of various breads from the convenience store, it seems. He doesn't say anything as he eats, and Junpei is grateful for the silence, but he also feels awkward just standing there, feeling vulnerable beside someone he just met.

"Ah, wait a sec...where's your lunch?" The guy asks, halfway through his yakisoba bread.

"Didn't bring one" Junpei says because that's the truth, really.

"Oh, I see..." He looks at Junpei with big curious eyes, and smiles. "Want one? I always buy more than I can eat" He offers, holding out the plastic bag with various assortments.

Junpei blinks at him. He really shouldn't. His stomach, though, has an entirely different opinion, and it seems eager to embarrass him with its honesty.

"Take whichever you want" The pinkette tells him, and Junpei laughs a small, awkward laugh, reaching in the bag at random.

"Ok,thanks" He says, following the guy with his eyes, wary of any tricks that might be at play here.

"You're welcome- uh"

"Junpei. Yoshino Junpei" He informs, a small part of him hoping his classmate would recognize him.

"Junpei, nice to meet you! I'm Itadori Yuji" He says brightly, and his smile looks genuine to Junpei.

Oh, so...he doesn't recognize his own classmate and seat mate? That's fine.

"Nice to meet you..." He smiled back at the beaming pink haired boy.