New English Teacher. Hot: Check. Arrongant: Double Check. A Vampire: What?? /14/

I could feel Caleb’s gaze fall on me, as he continued driving down the road. Nick was enjoying this moment, as he “nonchalantly” put his arm around me. I held back my laugh, remembering Nick’s plan to make Caleb jealous.

Well, I must say that it’s working. And Caleb’s irritableness is only making Amelia annoyed. She obviously doesn’t like that Caleb is unhappy with Nick and my new found “relationship.” And I mean, I didn’t realize that he would even have those kinds of feelings for me.

I feel like maybe, just maybe, something could possibly happen between us. I mean I shouldn’t even think this, because so many odds are against us. But at the same time, there’s still a part of me that’s thinking “what if.” For some reason when he gives us that “jealous” look, it makes my stomach flutter.

What if he likes me, or has….feelings for me. I don’t know what I would do if that were the case.

“So when are you going to drink that, Mel?” Nick’s voice brought me back to reality, and I gave him an unsure glance as he called me Mel. What is that, a nick name or something?

Huh? Oh….you mean the vile? Well I’ll take it when we get somewhere I can crash afterwards.” I answered slowly, as I stared at Caleb, and then Nick.

Caleb looked even more irritated when Nick called me Mel. He didn’t say anything though, as he continued to drive in silence.

“You can stay at my house one more night, but then you have to go.” Amelia chimed in, as she turned towards Caleb. “I don’t want to be a part of this anymore Caleb. We all know what Jace is capable of.”

Caleb scoffed at this. “I’m not afraid of him. I don’t care what he does, I’m not just about to hand Melinda over.”

I could help but feel my heart flutter as he said this, as silly as it sounds. Just the way he spoke those words, made me really feel like he wanted to help me out. Like I’m not just some charity case that he decided to take on. I really feel like Caleb cares about me…in some way at least.

Amelia’s gaze pierced my own, and I could tell she didn’t want to hear that. “You don’t understand what he’ll do, Caleb. He has been looking for her for YEARS. Do you get that? Can you comprehend? You are trying to keep her from him. He will not take this lightly.”

“He can bring it on. I’ll kick his ass.” Nick stated with a smirk. “I have to protect Mel here.” He added, as he planted a quick kiss on my cheek. Caleb clenched his jaw, and I noticed his grip on the steering wheel tighten.

“Aww well thanks Nick, you’re very sweet. And I appreciate everything you guys are doing in for me. I really do.” I said slowly, as I smiled slightly at Caleb.

“Mel, do you want to know why you’re so amazing?” Nick began, as huge grin on his face. “I actually have a poem for you. Would you like to hear it?”

“Shut up Nick.” Caleb retorted, obviously not amused by his antics.

“M is for magical, you cast a spell on me. E is for enticing, I can barely keep my hands off you. L is for---” I stifled a laugh, as Caleb interrupted Nick’s little poem. It was so hard not to crack up.

“How about we play a game, called shut the hell up and quit annoying the driver.” Caleb stated, as he rolled his eyes in annoyance. Nick smirked to me, as he crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“You know Caleb, in times of trouble, I have a little song that I like to sing. It always puts me in a better mood.”

“Nick I swear to God I will kick your ass if you sing one more damn song.” Caleb threatened, and I began to laugh some more. “We’re almost home, so if you shut up I’ll refrain from killing you.”