New English Teacher. Hot: Check. Arrogant: Double Check. A Vampire: What?? /21/

Melinda!” I heard a voice exclaim, as I looked around in confusion. My eyes widened when I saw who was calling my name. Caleb? How the hell is he here? What is he doing here? It is way too dangerous for him to be showing up in front of Jace!

My jaw nearly dropped as I saw him in the distance, with a clearly unnerved Nick following close behind. Oh dear god. “Caleb?” I asked softly.

I could feel Jace tense up beside me, as his dark eyes fell upon Caleb as if he were some bug that needed to be squished. I gazed at him for a moment, wondering what he was going to do.

“Stay away from her.” He said boldly, as he finally appeared in front of us. Nick had a look of pure worry written on his face, as he stood beside him.

“Mr. Turner, what a pleasant surprise.” Jace said, his voice sounding eerily dangerous. I glanced at him, afraid of what he was going to do. “I must admit, you took longer to show up than I expected. Is Melinda not worthy of your rescuing anymore?” He questioned, as Caleb narrowed his eyes.

“Fuck you.” Caleb spat, and I looked at him as if he were crazy. What is wrong with him? Coming here when Jace wants him dead? “Melinda is not staying with you, do you understand me?”

I fearfully glanced at Jace, and saw that his expression was unreadable. “Is that so?” Jace retorted, his voice chillingly calm. Too calm.

For a second, everything seemed to stop. There was an unpleasant stillness to the world, and everything seemed quiet. Yet in a mere second, Jace had his hand around Caleb’s throat, as he slammed him to the ground.                                                                                  

I let out a scream, as I brought my hand up to my mouth. “Jace no!” I cried out, as I jolted towards them. Caleb was pinned to the ground, and Jace’s gaze was cold and hard. “Please Jace, don’t hurt him!”

“You will not speak to me, your king, in such a manner. Do you understand me? I will not tolerate it. The only reason I haven’t ripped you apart is because of Melinda.” I could feel both Nick and Caleb’s gaze fall upon me, as I swallowed hard.

I stepped forward, as I gently grasped Jace’s arm. “Jace please, let him go.” I said softly, my eyes digging into his. His eyes met mine, and some of the coldness began to evaporate. Slowly he released Caleb, who quickly rose to his feet. “Thank you.”

He looked away from me for a second, and back at them. “Why are you here?” He commanded to know.

Caleb clenched his jaw. “Why do you think I’m here?” He stated roughly, still challenging Jace. Caleb, quit with the macho attitude! I sighed heavily, not wanting to have another showdown between the two of them.

Jace was about to speak, when I beat him to it. “Jace, can I talk to Caleb please? Alone, just for a minute?” I asked, my eyes pleading. He seemed hesitant, as his eyes flickered at Caleb and Nick for a moment. “Please Jace.” I said lower, as I smiled gently at him.

Finally he nodded his head. “You have two minutes, Caleb. Don’t try anything, because if you do I assure you the consequences will be severe.” And with that, he turned and walked away towards the mansion.

I let out a sigh of relief. “What the hell is wrong with you Caleb?” I exclaimed loudly. “Are you trying to get yourself killed?”

Caleb narrowed his eyes slightly. “What’s wrong with me? What the hell is wrong with you Melinda? That’s Jace you’re getting all cozy with! You know, the guy who murdered your parents? Remember?