Chapter 25: Long Awaited Reunion

As the post-wedding bliss started to decline, especially with the amazing response to Krystian's debut self-titled EP, it dawned on Hafiz that it'd been literally ages since his husband had last recorded anything with Now United. With that, the newlyweds made a pact to surprise the NU members, who'd been in LA for a rigorous bootcamp at the time. After getting their booster jabs in Beijing, however, the couple's travel plans had to be delayed by a week as they'd both been reinfected with the new Covid variant that was more contagious than the previous one they'd encountered; fortunately, Hafiz had yet to book the plane tickets so the couple could afford to wait it out for a while. Unsurprisingly, their loved ones immediately spammed them with well wishes & even had gifts delivered to the doorstep of the couple's quarantine rooms. Hafiz couldn't help but smile like an absolute idiot, as did Krystian, upon ripping apart the gift wrappers. Even the Uniters flooded their DMs as soon as they found out, which brought tears to the couple's eyes & made them feel truly appreciated.

As soon as the couple recovered, Hafiz immediately booked the plane tickets for the next flight to LA from Beijing without informing the NU members nor Simon Fuller. Since the choreographer had already known where NU were having their bootcamp at, he & Krystian were naturally thrilled to be able to meet their 2nd family for the first time in weeks. Even in the midst of all that, though, Hafiz made it a point to update his Kpop music library with the latest songs from all the groups he'd been following for years. In any case, upon landing in LA, the couple thankfully didn't need to undergo quarantine despite Hafiz's initial worries about said scenario. Upon reaching their hotel room, the couple made it a point to make love first as had become practically routine for them whenever they travelled. In Hafiz's words, "let subsequent guests, who end up in the same room, know that a gay couple once slept in the same bed.. Hahaha!!"

It wasn't until the day after, though, that the couple went to the location of NU's ongoing bootcamp; naturally, they put on convincing new disguises beforehand in order to catch the NU members completely off guard. They could barely contain their laughter as they spotted & slowly snuck up on Josh who had just stepped out of the restroom; Josh tried fighting off the "intruders" while screaming for help, only for Hafiz to pull off his mask & yell, "SURPRISE!!!!!!", with an accompanying hysterical laugh. By this point, Krystian was already laughing his head off as the other NU members rushed out of their dance studio to find out what was happening. Heyoon literally facepalmed as she exclaimed, "I KNEW THAT HYSTERICAL LAUGH SOUNDED FAMILIAR!!! HAFIZ, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE????" With a smirk on his face, Hafiz replied, "Well, I wanted my baby vampire to reunite with y'all since it's been literally ages since he last recorded any music with y'all. So, here we are!!" After some laughing at the couple's usual hijinks, Any finally voiced out, "Aaaawwwwwww, how sweet of you two.. Not gonna lie, we've missed recording stuff with Krystian as well.."

With that, the unexpected group hugs began as the NU members asked Krystian how his marriage had been going thus far & how the experience of being reinfected with Covid was like. Krys calmly answered both questions before adding that he didn't expect any surprise gifts while he & Hafiz had to undergo self-isolations. Sabina smiled, "Well, it was kinda my idea since we felt like you both needed some cheering up while being isolated from each other." Hafiz gasped upon hearing that, "SAB!? REALLY?! Gosh, thank you!!!!" He immediately ran up to her for a tight hug as he sobbed; she replied, "It's okay, Hafiz.. We're practically family, right? We help one another in times of need.." Krys merely looked on with a smile..

After that chaos had died down, the newlyweds then greeted the other choreographers as well as Simon Fuller; they were all equally stunned to see the couple in LA though the old man was rendered slightly upset as he asked, "Hafiz, I understand you love surprising us from time to time. But to give us the shock of our lives like this? It's probably time you toned it down a little by at least informing me beforehand, even if you don't intend to tell the other NU members. You, of all people, should know by now that I'm very good at keeping secrets." A minute or two passed before Hafiz finally replied, "Alright, boss.. I'm sorry, it must've slipped my mind when I was planning this surprise reunion.. But hey, at least Krystian's available once again to record new music with the others, right?"

While this conversation was going on, Krystian had joined his fellow NU members in their bootcamp despite being about a week late & managed to keep up as well to noone's surprise. As the days went on, Hafiz was glad to see that his beloved baby vampire still managed to keep pace with the others despite having not trained with them for so long. However, it wasn't until the last day of said bootcamp that Krystian finally showed up in the NU Youtube videos as his presence there had been kept under wraps from even the Uniters who'd been left guessing as to the Chinese member's whereabouts. Needless to say, their eventual reaction on social media left Hafiz & Krystian cackling like crazy.