CHANGE OF MIND

“Why is everything burning ?” Strange asked, holding onto Nora’s shoulder. 

She glanced at the zealot behind them and tried to focus on burning him and not the whole Sanctum. “In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a little bit stressed right now. I don’t do well under pressure.”

“Try to keep calm, then ! You’ll burn us alive !” Nora repressed a laugh and kept walking down the hall. “What ? Try not to have a mental breakdown while we’re fighting for our lives.”

“You said ‘us’,” Nora explained. “I can’t burn myself. Consider yourself lucky that you're not on fire right now.”

She pushed him on the floor and turned to the man behind them. She was lucky enough that he was actively trying to protect himself from the fire in the hallway and not attacking her. Nora managed to set her hands on fire and realized the flames spreading on her arms were helping with the pain. She took a deep breath, finally feeling some kind of relief. 

The little control she was getting back was enough for the fire to disappear. But the zealot immediately took the opportunity and conjured a weapon. Before it could reach her, Nora raised her hands in defense but the cloak was faster and threw her against the wall and ended right on the man’s face. 

A few seconds later, Strange pushed her away from the fight between the cloak and the zealot, and opened a portal in front of them. Nora painfully stood back up and helped him through it before looking around them.  

They were in a room full of cleaning products. She opened the door and looked at the people walking by before closing it again. 

“A hospital. Genius. You need a doctor,” Nora said, getting back in the room. “Me too, I think I’m gonna pass out.”

“I told you to keep it inside. You need to find Christine Palmer.”

Remembering the mails on his computer, Nora bent over and looked at him. “Yeah, who is she, by the way ?”

“Someone who’s hopefully not angry at me anymore,” he said. 

“So you brought us to your angry girlfriend,” Nora stated with a small nod. “Good. That’s great.”

Nora walked out of the room and tried to look as normal as possible, given the fact that she was bleeding out and looked like she came back from a battlefield. 

“Hi,” she said to a panicked nurse in the hallway. Clearly she looked worse than she thought. “I’m looking for Christine Palmer ?”

“Miss, you need to see a doctor, come-”

“No !” she screamed. The door behind them burst into flames and Nora grabbed the nurse’s shoulders to keep her from watching. As soon as the fire was out, she put a smile on her face, probably deformed by the pain. “I really need to see Christine Palmer.” 

The nurse pointed to the other side of the hallway. Nora ran towards the woman and held onto her shoulder as she was about to fall. “Are you Christine Palmer ?” The woman nodded and Nora let out a relieved sigh. She grabbed her wrist and led her through the hallway.

Just as Strange was dragging himself outside the room, Christine screamed his name and ran towards him. Left to stand on her own, Nora held onto the wall and tried not to fall on the floor. Given her current state, she wasn’t sure she’d be able to stand up again.  

When she made it to the room, Nora’s vision was getting blurry, and even if Christine looked pretty close from her, her voice seemed to be coming from a mile away.  

“You need someone to look at this,” she said, pointing at Nora’s bleeding arm. 

Nora nodded and looked at Strange laying on the table. “You take care of him. I just need a minute to myself.”