CONSEQUENCES

“Call me when you need a ride back,” Nora said. 

Scott nodded at her and walked back to the house. She sighed and looked around her. Of course she wanted to be back with her family too, but she didn’t want to talk. She wanted silence. 

When she appeared in the middle of the living room, her father and Kelly were having lunch. It was only lunchtime. She had a hard time realizing so much happened in so little time. In only a minute. She stood next to the table, unable to speak or move. 

Her father rushed to her side and held her hands. “Nora, are you okay ? What happened ?”

“Nat died,” she simply said, walking to the couch. 

She ignored Kelly’s gasp and her father’s questions. She curled up and pulled the blanket over her. She was so exhausted. She didn’t want to answer questions, she wanted to be the one to ask them. She needed answers, and the only person who could provide them wasn’t there. Yet.

Nora’s father sat next to her and held her in his arms. “Do you want to tell me what happened ?” he asked, running his fingers through her hair. 

“I want to,” she said, her eyes closed. “But I can’t.” Nora moved her head on his lap and sighed. “I’m so tired, Dad. When will it stop ?”

He said nothing and held her for as long as she needed. And all she needed was to be reassured, to know that she didn’t do anything wrong. It wasn’t her fault. Knowing Nat, she would’ve done something like that even if she wasn’t sure of the outcome. Because it was who she was, and she was ready to give her own life if it meant that billions would get theirs back. 

It didn’t make it any easier. 

____________

When she opened her eyes again, Nora was lying on the couch, her head still on her father’s lap. He was still there, trying to comfort her without a word. She grabbed her phone and looked at Scott’s numerous texts. 

“Shit,” she said. “I need to go.”

“You’re not going back,” her father said. 

“I have to,” Nora sighed. She was about to go when she stopped and turned back to him. “Don’t leave the house until I come back. I’ll call, but you stay here.”

“What ? Why ? Nora-”

“Do as I say.”

She walked away and left without another word. A quick stop in San Francisco later, they were back in New York. Nora considered having a hundred cigarettes before getting back inside the compound, but she didn’t feel like it. If she had to be honest, she didn’t feel like anything. 

She sat with Rocket and looked around them. “Where’s Nebula ?”

“Walking around by herself.”

“Hm.” Just like everyone else here, she was surely still shaken by what happened. “Clint ?”

“Breaking things upstairs.”

Scott and Rhodey joined them and placed a few coffees on the table. “You’ve seen your family ?” Rhodey asked, sitting next to Nora. He sighed when he saw the look on her face. “You told them ?”

“Only told my father to stay at home.”

“I told my daughter,” Scott quickly admitted.

For a while, they just sat there, looking through the glass of Tony’s lab. “How’s he doing ?” Nora asked.