DOING THE RIGHT THING

People stopped running in and out of the room. It wasn’t a good sign, and Nora knew it. She watched enough episodes of Grey’s Anatomy to know. All that blood on the sidewalk wasn’t a good sign either. She leaned over and hid her face in her hands, desperately trying to block out the voices around her. 

Strange went in with the other doctors, and Mordo didn’t even stay with her. He walked away like he didn’t care. She had been alone in the hallway for a while now, and no one told her anything yet. She thought about calling her father, but she wouldn’t know where to start. There was no right way to say that she did something very wrong and that it could end in the Apocalypse. He’d be disappointed in her, for sure. And if the world was about to end, she’d spare him at least that. 

A nurse left the room and briefly stopped next to Nora. She immediately raised her head and closed her eyes when she heard the words coming out of the man’s mouth. The Ancient One was gone. Nora sat back on her seat and tried to think about all the ways this could have been avoided. So many things could’ve been different. 

Christine left the room soon after and sat next to Nora. “Are you okay ?” She pushed her hair to the side and looked at her bruises. “You need someone to check these.”

“I’m fine.” 

Christine looked back at the door and checked around them. “I won’t tell anyone if you need to say goodbye.” She got up but didn’t leave. “I don’t know what’s happening, but can you try to keep Stephen safe ?”

“Hm. Sure.” 

She pushed the door and walked straight towards the ones in the back, ignoring Strange on the way. When she entered the small operating room, she almost threw up at the amount of blood on the floor. She pushed a stool next to the Ancient One and proceeded to clean her face. 

“Someone will do it,” Strange said behind her. 

Nora kept on wiping the blood and sighed. “It’s all my fault.”

“She said it was supposed to happen. She knew she’d die.” Nora turned around and arched a brow at him. “I talked to her.”

“How ?”

“Astral projection.”

Nora scoffed. “You really like that thing.”

Swallowing back the tears, she focused on getting every single drop of blood away from the Ancient One’s face, as well as her neck. If she couldn’t see the blood, she could pretend nothing was happening. 

She leaned over, her face almost touching the Ancient One’s ear. “I’m sorry,” she whispered in a strangled voice. “I wish I hadn’t been so stupid.” She closed her eyes for a second, hoping for an answer. That woman was all powerful, she could probably even talk to her from the dead. But she didn’t, and Nora cleared her throat before turning back to Strange. “What do we do now ?”

“Where’s Mordo ?”

“Kamar-Taj. He doesn’t know that she’s… We need to tell him.” She put down the cloth and walked away from the table. “Still nothing from Wong either.”

She followed Strange outside of the room and looked at the Ancient One one last time before walking through the portal he opened. Whatever happened now, all she could do was try to undo the stupid things she’d done so far. She’d probably have to fight again, but it didn’t bother Nora so much anymore. 

Mordo was already waiting for them when they appeared in the middle of the ruins in the back of the library. Nora quickly reached him and pressed her hand on his shoulder.