THE BATTLE OF KAMAR-TAJ

Now that Nora was levitating in front of Wanda, she wasn’t so confident in her own abilities anymore. The only thing that she could do was buy everyone time. And she’d end up hurt, or dead. Or back to being Betty Cooper. 

“All this for a child you met yesterday ?” Wanda asked.

“That’s kinda my job, Wanda,” Nora tried to say as calmly as possible. They could both see the flames flickering around Nora, showing everyone her current state. “It used to be yours. And look, I know you haven’t had it easy but-”

“You forced me to blow a hole through the head of the man I loved,” Wanda interrupted. “All because you trusted him,” she added, looking down. “Tell me, what kind of sacrifice did Stephen Strange ever had to make ?”

Nora couldn’t tell if Wanda was in her head or not. But every word coming from her was resonating with thousands of thoughts Nora already had in the past. Wanda flew as close as the fire around Nora was letting her. 

“I know your pain. Give me what I want, and I send you to a world where your father is alive.”

Nora scoffed. “How much time have you spent in my head since we came to talk to you ?”

“I don’t need to be in your head,” Wanda explained. “I know what happened while I was away. I know what you did. And I’m offering you my help. Haven’t you suffered enough ?” She flew back and tilted her head to the side. “Step aside.”

“Hm. I’ve been asked that before,” Nora replied. “And maybe if you didn’t torture me, I would’ve considered it. But you did, and now you’re coming for my friends, for kids you only spent a week with. That won’t do.”

Below them, shields appeared in everyone’s hands. Nora glanced at them and took a deep breath. Now she was the one who needed time. 

“I don’t like you very much,” she said. “But it doesn’t matter anymore. We both know we’re no match to you. They don’t. Don’t kill my friends, Wanda. Be reasona-”

“You have no idea how reasonable I’ve been,” Wanda snapped back. 

Nora shook her head. “You’re doing everything Agatha said you would !” she shouted. “You say you’re a mother, but you’re coming after a kid. Someone else’s kid. And please, demons ? How reasonable is that ?”

“Sending these creatures after her instead of myself was… mercy. I wish you and your friends no harm, but you have exhausted my patience.” She paused and looked right into Nora’s eyes. “I do hope that you understand that even now, what’s about to happen… this is me, being reasonable.”

When Wanda attacked the shield behind Nora, it only went through another one, revealing the fire hidden behind it. Nora took a deep breath and hoped that everyone around Kamar-Taj did as they were told and evacuated the city. Or she’d be in for a lot of paperwork. 

Wanda looked at the fire and then back at Nora. “This is only leaving them mere minutes.”

“Just as much as I gave you to say goodbye.”

“Then I will reciprocate the favor,” Wanda calmly said. “Go say goodbye. Because I will get in, and I will take her.”

Nora nodded and flew behind the fire. As soon as she landed, she took the fire covering her down and hurried back to Wong. “She can’t see you anymore,” she said. “But she’s insane. There’s nothing of Wanda left. I think she's worse than when I lost my shit.”

Stephen pointed at the sky. “What is that ?”

Fire, Stephen. Never seen it before ?”

“You never spread fire so fast before,” he said with a frown.