A NEW HOPE

As Nat and Steve were rushing downstairs to get to Scott, Nora set off all the alarms in the room and turned into flames. She reappeared in front of a terrified Mr Lang, raising his hands. 

Don’t ! We’re on the same side ! I’m a friend of-” He looked behind her and pointed to the other side of the parking lot. “Him ! I’m friends with him ! I mean… we worked together. I helped.”

Nora crossed her arms and couldn’t help but smile. It was the first time since people learned about her that someone was genuinely scared of her. He didn’t hate her because of things he’d read, he was just… scared of someone who appeared in front of him, surrounded by fire. Finally someone with some sense into them. 

Steve finally reached them and stared at Scott for a long time before being able to talk. When Nat joined the group, she glanced at Nora. 

“Is it him ?” she asked. 

Nora’s eyes widened. “How the hell should I know ?”

Magic.”

“No,” Nora sighed. “That’s not how it works.”

“I’m me, I swear,” Scott said. 

“Yeah. I’m sorry to break it to you Sir, but you’re dead.”

“I’m not. Look, touch me !” he said, raising his arms. 

Nora winced. “I’d rather not.”

Nat sighed and opened the gate to let him in. As he was following Steve inside, she walked closer to Nora and nudged at her. 

“I think it’s him, but if anything goes sideways-”

Fire. Got it.”

They made it back inside, Nora watching Scott’s every move, ready to fire. Quite literally. For now, he looked very suspicious to her. Not in a dangerous way, though. More like in a crazy kind of way. He was basically talking to himself while glancing at Nora from time to time. 

“Scott.” Steve said to draw him out of his thoughts. “Are you okay ?”

He stopped and looked at them. “Have any of you guys studied quantum physics ?”

“Only to make conversation,” Nat said, unimpressed. 

“With who ?” Nora asked, pretty sure that she never heard these words ever before in any kind of conversation. She looked at Scott and shook her head. “Never.”

“Alright, so… Five years ago, right before… Thanos,” he said, still in shock. “I was in a place called the quantum realm. It’s like its own microscopic universe.”

“Like another dimension ?”

“Something like that, but not really. There are other dimensions ?” Nora nodded. “Really ?”

“You’re talking about that quantum realm and you don’t want to think about other dimensions ? Probably other universes too, but I don’t know about that,” Nora explained. 

“Later, Nora,” Steve cut her off. “Scott, focus.”

“Right. The quantum realm. To get in there, you have to be incredibly small,” Scott continued. “Hope. She’s my… she was… well, she was supposed to pull me out.” Nora vaguely remembered the whole Pym family being blipped, but wasn’t entirely sure there was a Hope Pym, or Lang, in the list. “And then Thanos happened, and I got stuck in there.”

Nat looked at him with compassion. “I’m sorry, that must have been a very long five years.”

“Yeah, but that’s just it,” Scott immediately said. “It wasn’t. For me it was five hours.”