FIXED RELATIONSHIPS

Nora couldn’t have been more stressed. She really thought she was ready when she first thought about it, but now… she could barely breathe. Her hands were sweating. Nora was never sweating. 

“Do you already need to take a pill ?” Tobias asked, watching Nora fidgeting on her chair. “It’s just Wong, you know. He won’t admit it, but he was super happy when we told him you wanted to talk.”

Nora arched a brow. “How do you know if he didn’t say it, then ?”

“I felt it,” he said with a laugh. “And you only don’t know because you haven’t been to New York in forever. I think even the cloak is depressed.”

“The cloak,” she repeated, rolling her eyes at him. 

“I’m telling you,” Tobias insisted. “It’s always flying there, back and forth, it looks haunted.”

“It’s a magic cloak. Of course it looks haunted.”

“I know it misses you too. I’ll take it here and you’ll see for yourself.” His eyes widened and he raised a hand. “It’s late in New York. While you talk to Wong, I’ll try to kidnap the cloak.”

“Don’t-”

“Shh. Too late, I’ve made up my mind,” he said with a very serious look. “You don’t even need me here. If you want to kill Wong, I can’t do anything about it.”

“You’ll need to run if Stephen catches you trying to steal his cloak.”

He had to agree with that. They laughed and nearly missed the moment when Julie and Wong entered the room. They immediately stopped and stood up. 

For a moment, Nora and Wong simply stared at each other. That was it. She was having an episode. Her heart was pounding in her chest, her eyes were already in tears. But nothing else was happening. Usually, an episode ended with fire showing up. 

Maybe she was just happy. 

Happy. 

It had been so long, she didn’t really remember how it felt. She was happy to see Wong. Happy that he agreed to talk to her. She smiled at him, and the second he smiled back at her, she ran to hug him. And she didn't care that hugging wasn't Wong's thing. She needed a hug because she messed up pretty bad.

She didn’t want to let go. It felt just as good as getting her family back in her life. Because after all, Wong was her family. 

“I… I wasn’t expecting that,” Tobias said, giving Nora a confused look. 

Julie smiled at him and pulled him away. “We’ll be next door if you need reinforcement.”

“Not me, though,” he corrected. “I’m on a mission.” He turned to Wong and arched a brow. “Is Strange sleeping yet ?”

He didn’t even wait for an answer and walked away, closely followed by Julie, already asking him what he was up to. 

Wong sat down and frowned, looking at the door. “What’s the mission ?”

“He wants to steal the cloak to show me that it’s haunted, depressed, and that it misses me,” she said with a slight smile. “Is it weird that I’d like to see it ?”

He nodded. “It is, but he’s right. It’s been different without you.”

Nora took her cup of tea and cleared her throat. “About that,” she started, moving her hand between them. “It doesn’t mean I forgive you. I’m done pretending things never happened.”

“I know,” he said. “That’s how it should be.”

“So, how have you been ? It’s been a while since I threatened to kill you.” She looked down. “Sorry about that, by the way. I was a little upset, you didn’t deserve that. I know-”