NOTHING NEW IN NEW YORK

As more people were gathering on the balcony, Nora kept sipping on a glass of water. She got pushed around by guests trying to have a look at what was going on, but even if she didn’t want to go, she wanted to have something to tell Kelly when she came back. Not to mention that if anything tried to kill Stephen, she’d want to see it herself. She'd probably have to go. Eventually.

“Nora,” Christine said, rushing to her side. “Why are you still here ?”

She shrugged. “Stephen said he wanted me to physically be away from him, and he went to check. So I’m physically staying away.”

Charles joined them and almost fell over trying to take a look. “What if he’s in trouble ?”

“Hm.” Nora leaned forward and frowned. “It’s nothing.”

More cars were crashing onto each other. People were screaming in fear. It was most likely the kind of thing the government would want her to investigate. Nora checked her phone. No one called her. She had time. 

When a whole bus started moving on its own, as if it was possessed, and Stephen revealed a gigantic octopus from Hell to everyone’s eyes, Christine hit Nora’s arm.

“It’s something !”

Down in the street, Stephen cut one of the giant tentacles. 

Nora pointed at him and smiled at Christine. “See ? He’s handling it.” The cloak left his shoulder to go to the bus and came back with someone riding it. “Good cloak,” Nora said with a proud smile. She squinted, trying to see who was standing behind Stephen. “Hm. Move away, girl. Too close to danger.”

“Strange will protect her from the octopus,” Charles said, almost jumping from the balcony to have a better view. 

“But who will protect her from him ?” Nora asked, sipping on her drink. 

“Nora, can you stop being a child and go ?” Christine said, giving her a disapproving look. 

The octopus threw the bus at Stephen, and he effortlessly cut it in half. Clearly, Nora could stay here and enjoy the party. When he turned to talk to the girl, Nora laughed and leaned towards Christine. 

“10 dollars he’s saying something smart and he’ll get distracted.”

Please, No-”

As he was talking to the girl, the Octopus hit him with a giant and very disgusting tentacle, and threw him flying across the street. 

“You owe me 10 dollars,” Nora said with a bright smile. “And your husband is going to fall down, by the way.”

“Will you help him when he does or you’ll let him fall to his death ?”

“I’ll help. Because he’s nice.”

Christine was trying to get some sense into Nora’s head, but she was now distracted by the octopus. Whatever it was, it was looking for the girl. Nora pulled out her phone and handed her purse to Christine. She zoomed in on the runes all over the tentacles. 

“You’re taking pictures now !” Christine shouted, out of patience. 

“Research purposes,” Nora tried to defend herself. “When Wong gets here, he’ll want to know about that thing.”

Summoned by the Gods to make Nora look like a prophet, which she was enjoying very much, Wong appeared down the street.

Charles pulled on Nora’s arm. “How…”

She winked and turned back to look. Wong was putting up a good fight, and he was way more focused on what he was doing than Stephen, who was still MIA. Unfortunately for him, the octopus had more tentacles than them.