NO MORE FAMILY

Ethan and Kelly. 

Only two people would talk, and they decided that Kelly would go up there and talk. ‘They spent a lot of time together when we were gone,’ they said. ‘He was like a father to her’, they said. 

Nora didn’t even look up when Kelly walked up to talk. She didn’t want to look. She kept her eyes glued to the coffin in front of her. She didn’t care if she was crushing what was left of Stephen’s hand. She didn’t care if everyone in the church could hear her leg bouncing up and down on the tiles. 

She tried looking at the other side of the aisle. Her mother was still crying, Ethan was trying to hold her while keeping Emi from talking too loud. They were together. And she was on the other side. Nora had no idea who she had to thank for that, but at least she had been allowed here. 

Probably her therapist. He surely told everyone that forcing her not to go to her own father’s funeral would be the best way to have another crazy witch on the loose. Nora didn’t care. She was grateful.

She was trying not to hear Kelly’s voice in her ears. The audacity. That woman turned their lives into a living Hell for years, and now she was standing there, telling everyone how hard these past few days had been for her and her family. Her family. If that woman didn’t spend two full months in a mental hospital, Nora wouldn’t have had to work for the Avengers. She could’ve stayed in Seattle. She could’ve spent more time with her father. 

But no, she had to ruin their lives. And now Nora was stuck with a lifelong contract with the world, while Kelly was up there, saying that it was a relief that he didn’t suffer. 

Relieved

She was relieved

Nora closed her eyes. She couldn’t make a scene. Not now, not here. She had to stay calm. She promised she wouldn’t say anything.  

Like burning Kelly alive for saying that she was relieved.

“Relieved,” Nora whispered. 

Stephen squeezed her hand and kept looking in front of him. “Stay calm. We’ll go home as soon as it’s done. Stay. Calm.”

Nora knew that half the eyes in the church were turned towards her. Her father never knew so many people. Wong, Tobias and Stephen came with her, but she was pretty sure that she saw Rhodey, Banner and Sam somewhere in the crowd. Tony called her, probably to make sure she wouldn’t do anything. She spotted five men in official suits. Probably the Department of Defense. 

Even today, they wouldn’t leave her alone. She couldn’t have one day. 

“Why did you tell them ?” she whispered, leaning towards Stephen.

“I didn’t.”

“Wong ?”

“Protocol.”

“Hm.” Of course they asked Wong to keep an eye on her. She couldn’t blame him. Not really. “The whole thing ?”

“Yes.”

It was getting even better. Not only did they all know that her father had been murdered, they also knew that her own family was holding her responsible for it. Which she was, in a way. She left. The spell wore off. Everyone these bastards were looking for was in the same place. 

And of course, her father had to try his luck and jump between Emi and a fucking wizard. Him, without magic, without anything to protect him against people who didn’t stop when they had a chance to cut someone’s finger. Of course he did that.