TWO LIVES

“What are you thinking about ?” Lance asked, as Nora’s eyes were glued to a shop they were walking by.

“Work,” she sighed. 

“I’d rather have you buying fishing gear,” he laughed. “What is it about work this time ?”

She looked away and winced at the fishing rods. “Why do you hate my job so much ?”

“Other than the fact that you lost a finger, that you spend most of your life on the other side of the country and your boss calls you ten times a day when you’re not working ? Nothing, I thought that was enough,” he said. 

“Stephen doesn’t call ten times a day.”

Nora’s phone rang, and Lance arched a brow. “That’s five, and it’s only 2PM.”

She gave him a sorry smile and walked away for a second. As soon as she picked up the call, she sighed. “You have to stop calling me on the weekends.”

“I need the ring,” Stephen replied. 

“Not now.”

“You have to get in a fight with the cloak.”

Nora burst out laughing, but immediately stopped when she saw the disapproving look on Lance’s face. “Give me five minutes.” She hung up and quickly walked back to Lance. “There’s a situation.”

“Another accident ?”

“No.” She pointed behind her and winced. “You see when I laughed ? Well, something happened.”

“What ?”

“You know.”

“I don’t.”

She took a step closer. “I realized my period came. I need to find a restroom to-”

“Here,” he immediately said. 

He grabbed her hand and led her to a restaurant nearby. Nora quickly kissed him before running to the bathroom, scolding herself for lying to him again. Now she was even using her period, and she’d have to stick to a whole new cycle from now on. It was getting ridiculous. 

As soon as she entered the room, she opened a portal, jumped through and closed it before anyone noticed it. She rushed to the library and threw her bag on the nearest table. “You have 10 minutes.”

Stephen looked at her and frowned. “That’s not nearly enough.”

“Listen to me,” she said, pointing a finger at him, “I’m pretending that my period came. Meaning that I won’t be able to have sex all weekend. So don’t tell me how much time is or is not enough. You have 9 minutes. Where’s that stupid cape ?” The cloak appeared from behind her, hit her arm on its way, and stopped in front of Nora. “Sorry, I know you’re not stupid.”

“Is he scared of a little blood now ?”

“It’s because there is no blood, Stephen !” Nora shouted. “I just told him there was, and then he’ll know I was lying ! Think, Stephen, think !”

He laughed and opened a book. “The truth, Nora. The truth.” As she was opening her mouth, he raised a hand and pointed at the cloak. “Go ahead, then. Fire.”

Nora looked at the cloak and frowned. She was really hoping that she was right and it wouldn’t burn. She didn’t want to be the one to destroy such a nice piece of clothing. When the fire started to swirl around it without making it to the fabric, Stephen walked closer. 

“That’s not good,” he said. 

“Why ?”

“There are no runes, no spell, nothing.”