MEDICAL MYSTERY

Nora woke up from the pain in her back. She had no memory of falling asleep here, but Stephen was still here too. Her head fell on his lap during the night, and one of her legs was almost laying flat on the floor. It was all but a nice way to wake up. At least it didn’t look like she had drool on her face, but her back made her feel like she was older than her mother. 

She opted for a non-graceful way to leave this hell of a couch and finished sliding on the floor. Nora sat down for a few minutes, trying to get her eyes back in their sockets. Waking up was already a nightmare in itself, waking up like that was even worse. 

“What are you doing on the floor ?” Stephen asked behind her, half asleep. 

“Dying.”

“Okay.” He was about to lay back on the couch but quickly sat up. “You’re not really dying, are you ?”

“Feels like it,” Nora sighed. 

A few minutes later, she finally found the strength to get up and walk downstairs. The cloak followed her, and she was rather grateful to have something to save her from a deadly fall. Fortunately, Wong and Stephen never changed the coffee machine she gave them and she was able to use it with her eyes closed. 

She considered walking back upstairs to give Stephen some coffee, but the climb seemed way out of her reach. Second good luck of the day, he seemed to have thought about the same thing and showed up just when she was sitting at the table. 

“I used to think that it was because of the painkillers,” he said with a smile, “but you’re just not a morning person.”

She downed her first cup of coffee, poured herself another one, and looked back at him. “It’ll be better in five minutes.” 

And so five minutes passed. No one talked, leaving the caffeine to peacefully make its way to Nora’s brain. One day, she’d have to address this coffee addiction. She’d do it when she wouldn’t be living in three different time zones. For now, coffee was Nora’s best friend. Her faithful companion through life. 

“You’re very not comfortable to sleep on,” Nora finally said. 

Stephen slightly smirked at her. “I slept well.”

“And I hate you for that. What time is my appointment ?”

“3PM,” he quickly replied. “I thought you didn’t want me to look into your file.”

“But since you’re doing it anyway, you might as well be my assistant,” she smiled. “How many times did I wake up ?”

“Two. Same nightmares ?” She nodded. “Still no wish to go back to therapy ?” She shook her head. “As your doctor, I advise you to-”

“It’s a good thing you’re not, then. Because I don’t think it’d be very professional of you to wake up with your patient’s head on your lap,” Nora laughed, pouring herself a third cup of coffee. 

“She’s the one who started kissing me in her parents’ house,” he argued. “During a child’s birthday.”

“What a slut.”

“How have you never had a heart attack before ?” Stephen asked, staring at Nora finishing her third cup in a row. “If you want to die that much, there are quicker ways.” He looked at her arms and frowned. “You should call to get your appointment moved. It can wait until the bruises are gone.”

“I’ll tell them I fell down the stairs.”

Don’t !” he immediately shouted. “No stairs, no door, no ‘I’m clumsy’.”

“Then what ?” Nora asked. “Should I tell them the truth and I volunteered to be a magic punching bag for a witch who wants to win a fight club thing ?” Now that Nora was thinking about it, it could be a fun thing to say. She’d love to see the look on everyone’s faces. “Car accident.”