MEETING NORA KELLER

“Thank the stars you brought Doctor Strange to safety,” Mordo said to America with a warm smile. 

Nora was still trying to understand why Mordo had a warm smile. But he seemed to be doing just fine, Master of the Sanctum, with people serving tea for him. In their universe, everyone was serving tea by themselves. For a while, Nora kept waiting to see herself joining them. But no one came. Maybe they didn’t have a Nora Keller. Maybe their Nora was happy and away from all this. She was a lucky Nora, in a world were Stephen was already dead and wouldn't try to kill her one day. Or maybe he already did it, and their Nora was already dead.  

“Just ‘cause we jumped ship doesn’t mean we’re safe,” Stephen said, taking the cup he was handed. “Our Wanda has the ability to conjure demons and monsters to attack America in other universes.”

“So she has the Darkhold.”

Stephen leaned forward. “So you know of the Darkhold ?”

“We have one. I got it here, in this Sanctum,” Mordo explained.

Nora arched a brow. “Here ?”

“We would never risk a weapon that dangerous falling into the wrong hands.”

She looked at Stephen sitting next to her and crossed her arms. “I already said I didn’t know she had it.”

“It wasn’t your fault,” he whispered. 

“I’m afraid she can do far worse than just summon monsters,” Mordo kept saying. “There is a spell. Dreamwalking.” Nora tried remembering ever reading about it, without success. “A sorcerer projects their own consciousness from their universe into another,” he explained. A few candles lost their flames around the room. “The possession is not a permanent link between realities, but in the fleeting time they dreamwalk, they can do irreparable damage to the universe they invade.” The room was dark, and something wasn’t right with Nora’s ring. “So it may not be a demon that you face. It may be the Scarlet Witch.”

America leaned forward. “Why didn’t she do that to begin with ?”

“She was being reasonable,” Nora said, trying to check their surroundings. 

The ring was telling her to leave. Something was telling herself to leave this place. Stephen was talking about something. The book of Vishanti. She wasn't listening anymore. Something was wrong, but she was apparently the only one giving it any attention. 

Stephen was standing up, ready to start his search of that book. “I need your help-” He stopped. Nora quickly stood up to hold him, but she was feeling just as bad. 

Her eyes were struggling to stay open, and she fell back on her seat. She tried looking at America, but she was in the exact same state. Stephen was still trying to keep his balance, but everything around them was spinning. 

“I’m sorry, Stephen,” Mordo said. “But I hope you, of all people, understand that it’s not Wanda Maximoff who threatens our reality. It’s you.”

Nora tried to fight back. Stephen fell down, and America’s eyes were already closed. When Mordo tried to grab her arm, Nora’s body was already disappearing in flames. 

When she opened her eyes, Nora was laying on the pavement. She tried standing up, but her legs were shaking and her head spinning. Or was it the world spinning around her ? She didn’t even have a cigarette to put her mind back in the right spot. She remained seated on the ground, trying to see where the Flames got her. 

If she had a hard time recognizing New York in this universe, her parents’ house was exactly the same. With much more flowers around it. She knew it, her father would’ve loved this place. She held onto a recycling bin and got back on her feet.