Chapter 2: Beginning

Jaune was breathing heavily and very tired. He was battered and bruised. He had been hunting grimm for the last 4 hours. Even with Ananke's help, he was still a 10 year old boy who is way past his bedtime.

"Hah... hah... hah..." Jaune breathed out. He looked at Ananke's screen and smiled. I already killed 7 grimm, only 3 left.

As soon as Jaune killed his first grimm, a change has been forming within young Jaune. He had been adapting quickly, when he first fought the grimm he was still wobbling from every hit he took. He only managed to evade or block it with Ananke's observations. He was really glad that Ananke was with him.

By the time he was fighting his third grimm, he was making less mistakes. By the time he fought his seventh grimm, he was able to take it head on.. albeit with scratches and injuries after defeating it.

Although wounded, Jaune was excited that he was improving rapidly. What he couldn't even think of doing yesterday, he could perform now. As Jaune was thinking, he heard Ananke warn him.

[Jaune be careful. There are three grimms approaching your location. Analysing... done! All three grimms are Ursai. With the one leading them being an Ursa Major.]

Jaune didn't panic as he read once that grimm take's notice of negative emotions. Plus he had Ananke with him. He started to ask Ananke what he could do.

"Ananke, what course of action should I do? I know that with my current condition, I'm unable to win against an Ursa Major. Wait... Caliburn has a skill right?" Jaune slowed down as he remembered his sword had a skill.

[Your right Jaune. Good work at remembering the capabilities of your equipment! Yes, you can invoke Caliburn's skill by saying it's chant.]

Jaune gave a sheepish smile, as he heard the praise. But he slowly calmed down as remembered what Ananke was talking about. As he saw the grimm enter his line of sight, he dropped into a stance with his sword held horizontally by his side. As the grimm approached him, he started to invoke Caliburn's skill.

"Sword of selection, grant me power! Cleave the wicked! Caliburn"!

As he was chanting, Caliburn began to emit a golden glow. When he felt that Caliburn was ready, he unleashed the power that he stored within the blade.

With a mighty roar, Jaune tore through the grimm like nothing.
A golden dome began to cover the part of the forest that Jaune fought in. After the light died down, all Jaune could see was a gigantic crater. Trees were blasted away and nothing was left of the grimm.. not even its essences.

[Congratulations Jaune! You have succeeded in completing 10 kills. As a reward you get to pick a Fate card.

1. Equipment
2. Resources
3. Mount
4. Abilities
5. Summon

Please pick 1!]

Jaune was drained, he was shocked by Caliburn's power. Grimm were nothing, when in the face of its overwhelming might!

As soon as he got over Caliburn's power, he quickly stored it and thought of what to get. Equipment cards are out of the question as he already had Caliburn, although another weapon wouldn't hurt to have he thought that he didn't need one right now. Resource cards are okay, but he had collected enough fruits and water around the forest to last him several days. Mount cards... although Jaune wanted to have a vehicle as it would let him travel faster, he decided against it as he wasn't in a hurry as his journey has only just begun. So that leaves him with Ability and Summon cards. Although an ability card would be greatly appreciated right now, he thought that a companion would be greater right now. Having someone to talk to besides a voice inside his head would greatly help Jaune's 10 year old mind.