Chapter Three

Anirudh's jealousy and tears

"The court has found Mr. Subodh to be guilty of illegally taking over the land of Mr. Amitabh. Therefore the court and the jury sentences him to be jailed for five years along with 5,000 Rupee penalty. The court is adjourned for today".

The declaration of the judge made Anirudh want to whoop up in joy. He had done it, he had won the biggest and the most controversial case of his career. He calmed himself down and congratulated his client. The man was there along with his daughter today. However, all his happiness evaporated when she spoke.

" Anirudh Babu, please come to our haveli for dinner tonight. I promise to cook the best food for you, I am a very good cook; you know"- Anirudh became rigid at her words. He had been tolerating her stupid talks because they were his clients. But now, he no longer had to curb his tongue.

" I have told you before miss, it's Barristerbabu not Anirudh, I haven't given you the permission to call me by my name. I don't entertain such words from any female other than my wife. Also, I don't go to any dinner party without my wife Bondita. Mr. Amitabh please send my fees  to my chamber, good-bye"- Anirudh's blunt words seemed to have embarrassed the old man and he just nodded at him.

" If he is such a 'Patni Vrata' Pati (Husband) then why did he get married for the second time"-her words were shushed by her father. Fearing Anirudh would hear her words.

Thankfully, he didn't hear the words. Otherwise, he would have ripped her a new one.

Anirudh exited the court in a jolly mood, he was whistling to himself; which was a testament of his victory. He handed over his files to his assistant Mohan and went to his car, ready to buy a gift for his beloved Bondita. He believed that she was the reason of his victory. He was never a superstitious person.

But he truly believed that she was his lucky charm. And his day used to go better, if it started by seeing her face in the morning.

"God, I am behaving like kaka now!"- he thought with a goofy smile on his face. But maybe, he didn't mind behaving like him, in the case of his beloved Bondita.

He went to the Tulsipur Bazaar, In order to buy a gift for his Bondita. It had become his ritual now. Every time he used to get a big victory in the courtroom, he used to buy something for his Bondita.

Sometimes, it used to be a little pendant, a pair of silver earrings or a dozen of glass bangles that she loved so much. These days, her dressing table has a big ornament box filled with the trinkets that Anirudh has given her since she was 13. Most of which she hardly wore citing the reason that Trilochon wouldn't like it.

When the truth was that, she felt like a "Bojh" (Burden) on whom; he was spending money unnecessarily against his will. How wrong she was! She was the only one, he wanted to spend money on.

Anirudh entered a big jewellery shop. Today was the biggest victory of his career. His Bondita deserved something better than a small trinket. He wanted to buy her something that she could wear without the taunts of his Kaka.

He was looking at the pieces of jewellry, when his eyes got stuck on a pair of Anklets. It wasn't too gaudy. It had a beautiful design with small silver balls attached to the ends of it.

He brought the Payals close to his ears and shaked them once. The sounds of it brought a smile on his face as he imagined his Bondita wearing it and running in the study to give him his "Special Kapi".

He quickly purchased it from the shop and went to buy a handi of Rasgullas. His mood was excellent today and nothing could ruin it or so he thought!

Bondita was having an excellent day at school. Today, she had got full marks on her chemistry test along with praises from the New British Teacher. It really made her ecstatic, Getting appreciated for something that you worked hard for without anyone's help.

Batuk was really scared to go home today. He had copied Bondita's all answers in the exam and still he had barely passed as he had messed up the signs of chemicals. Even after Bondita constantly showing him her answer script.

He was very sad. And Bondita couldn't see him in such a state. She knew how to cheer him up. So, she made a plan.

"Oyee Amrit, did you know there is a new stall of Fuchka opened in the Bazaar? I heard, the Fuchka and Kulfi there tastes so goood"- she said it in a prolonged way, in order to tempt him. Amrit catched her drift and joined her in enticing the "Foody Roy Chowdhury".

"Oyee Batuk, come let's have kulfi. If you don't come with us, then we will have it on our own. I won't let Bondu bring any extra for you"- her words did the magic and Batuk was shaken out of his misery.

How could he let her have his share of food! The result can be cried about later. But his food should never be made to wait!

"Oyee, how did you think I will let you both have kulfi alone? I am coming too"- Batuk's word made Bondita and Amrit grin at each other. They were successful in diverting his mind.

They went to the shop unknown to fact that Anirudh was also at the same place.

Batuk was relishing his first love aka food when someone from behind made a noise that almost scared Bondita.

"Oyee Hoyee, you guys came to eat without me? How could you all betray me like this!"- his words made the trio burst into peals of laughter. And made Bondita smile at him.

Uday felt his heart stop beating for a second at her smile. He would have just stared at her if not for the nudging of Amrit.

Meanwhile, Anirudh felt his heart bleed, when he saw Bondita laughing so freely with the trio. The way she was so open with them, laughing in a loud tone with them made him feel angry.

Why was she so reserved with him? Never talking much with him? Never laughing with him in such a way!

However, Uday's action next made him want to punch something.

"Bondu, here eat a Rasgulla. Its your favorite sweet na!"- bondita was startled seeing Uday coming to her with bowl of her once upon a time favorite Rasgullas.

" I am already full, Uday. I won't be able to eat this"- Bondita's words made Uday sad. He in a disappointed tone said "I brought this sweet because today I got declared captain of the Hockey team, I wanted to celebrate my joy with everyone. It's okay if you don't want to eat it"- Uday's words made Batuk scoff at him, clearly seeing though his lies.

Anirudh clenched his fist. Another man offering his Bondita "their Rasgullas". He hated the universe at that moment. However, his thin thread of patience broke hearing her reply.

"Alright, Uday; I will eat it, since its for such an auspicious reason"-her reply made him the happiest he had ever been. And he picked a rasgulla and made her eat it by his own hands.

Bondita was stunned at his actions. She looked at him for a few seconds and swallowed the sweet in a trance. But, he quickly filled her mouth with another one even before she got a chance to protest.

"Oyee Uday, aren't you gonna feed us too"- Batuk's question made his attention diverted and he quickly went to them.

Bondita looked at him in relief and he nodded at her. He was her "favorite devar". Of course he knew when to step in sensing her discomfort.

Anirudh was numb. How could his Bondita eat rasgulla from someone else? It was only his right to feed her Rasgulla. Unknown to even himself, tears streamed down his face.

And a thought stuck him like a lightning. Didn't he also used to feed Manorama food and Rasgulla in front of her? She used to maybe feel the same way, he is feeling now at this moment! Didn't she also shed her precious tears then?

"Maybe, the universe is taking revenge on him by making him go though the same pain, she had went through once"- Anirudh thought blankly and wiped his tears.

"I will mend our relationship, Bondita. It has gone for too long; From now on, I will make sure, we become as close as we were once. I will be the only one to feed you Rasgullas again"-Anirudh thought with a determined smile .

He went away from the bazaar with newfound determination and a extra bounce in his walk.

Not before, looking at Bondita's admirer in a thunderous way.

Tell me, was this chapter good at all?

Thank you for showing the previous chapter with votes and comments.