Chapter Four

Amrit's concern for Bondita and Anirudh's gift

As they were returning from their street food indulgence, Amrit had initiated a conversation with Bondita regarding their studies that slowly turned into a discussion about her nightmares. Only after making sure that Batuk and Uday were quite ahead of them.

She wasn't a fool. She had seen how Bondita had dark circles underneath her eyes today. which only meant one thing, Bondita had nightmares again last night.

"Bondita, did you wake up from your nightmare again last night?"-Amrit's question had startled Bondita as she fumbled to answer her.

Looking at Bondita's fumbling Amrit understood. And she sighed internally.

Honestly, when she had heard of Bondita's circumstances and seen the bullying, she was facing from the boys, she was heartbroken for her. How could someone remain so strong in the face of so much adversity!

She had been awed by her resilience and her intelligence. They had stuck a quick friendship but it took Bondita a long time to confide in Amrit.

When Amrit had got to know about her mental traumas and scars, she was horrified. She honestly wanted to hug her tightly and hide her in her arms.

But she also realized something, no matter how tight-lipped and passive Bondita was about the topic of her "Patibabu", he was the only one who had the power to heal her soul.

She only prayed, he heals her sooner than later.

Anirudh had gotten home in a rage almost. Screaming at Bihari for coffee in a frightening voice and then bursting on his Kaka when he asked him, "Why was he behaving like a Nalayak bagar billa?".

Anirudh thought, he had calmed down significantly by the time he left the bazaar. But, while coming back all he could see was the image of Uday feeding her their 'Rasgulla'. He was heartbroken. Seeing her close to a boy, even his brothers lately had made him incredibly jealous.

But, seeing her with him, a guy who admired her, someone who didn't hurt her in the past like he did; made him want to tear his hair off. Or punch something.

He after shouting with his kaka, had closed his room's door with a bang so loud that it made the occupant's of the Haveli shudder in fright.

He wasn't even sure, when he had started crying. He wanted to cry loudly, letting everyone know his pain but it wasn't possible. For he was the 'Strong Anirudh' who everyone looked up to.

He today for the first time, had realized the pain behind the tears that Bondita had once shed for him.

"She had maybe locked herself in a room, just like this one and cried the same way when I had married Manorama"- Anirudh thought with a wry grin and eyes filled in tears.

"I deserve this pain today, but please don't go away from me, Bondita. I can't see you with anyone at all"- he whispered in a broken tone to the walls of his room.

Funny how time changes! Once it was Bondita's tears and today it was his own that the walls of the Roy Chowdhury Haveli was witnessing.

Bondita had entered the Haveli in a good mood but it soon evaporated when she saw the tensed face of her Kakasasur ji. He was really scared. And it made Bondita wonder, what new trouble were they going to face again?

"Bahu, thank goodness, you've arrived. What took you so long?".

"Never mind, Anirudh is in a very bad mood. He shouted at Bihari and fought with me unnecessarily. I didn't even do anything"- Trilochon babbled on to his Bondita bahu like how a child complains to his mother without letting her get a word in.