Chapter Sixteen

The next morning

The sunrays were hitting Anirudh's face quite sharply as he had forgotten to close the curtains last night. He felt quite groggy all of a sudden, as his sleep was disturbed a lot last night due to nightmares.

He had nightmares of Bondita's struggles as a little child. Every time he had got a good sleep, he dreamt of his little Bondita crying and thrashing in the arms of faceless strangers. The images were terrifying to Anirudh and it made him feel like a loser in the dreams as he in his dreams was constantly trying to reach her to save her but couldn't do it, due to some invisible force stopping him. He saw her getting thrown out of some unknown Haveli by some faceless woman and a man and even watched her burning in the pyre of Sati with that old man that was going to be her husband. These dreams made him feel suffocated and terrified of not reaching his little Bondita on time.

He thanked his lucky stars that he had been there that night for her.

He quickly drowned a glass of water and left to finish his morning ablutions. As he let Bondita sleep for a while. He wanted to let her stay at home today due to her wrist injury.

Bondita woke up feeling absolutely alright and felt no pain on her back whatsoever. As she sat up in the bed, she looked at the time and cursed herself for she was late today for her morning routine and veneration.

She quickly stood up and realised that Anirudh was in the bathroom and she had to wait before she could use it. So, she quickly made the bed and prepared her school bag and checked her routine for any tests.

And suddenly, she remembered the events of last night. How she had so bluntly told him about her painful childhood and her father's death. She had told him of her hatred for her paternal side of the family.

She remembered how she had hugged him tightly and felt an acute shame. She felt her cheeks burning at her shamelessness. She felt embarrassed at her behaviour. She also remembered Anirudh's promises to always make sure, she had a roof over her head no matter what.

"I'll be out of your life soon Patibabu. You won't need to worry so much about my well being"-she muttered to herself and wanted to quickly get ready as she was getting quite late.

"Bondita, why are you up? You should take rest today."-Anirudh told her as he was bewildered looking at her fluttering in the room like a butterfly from one corner to another.

Bondita was irritated at Anirudh taking so long in the bathroom and she rushed past him to take a shower without answering him.

"Bondita, tell me"-his words remained incomplete for she had shut the door on his face in a hurry.

"I'll talk to you later Patibabu. I need to get ready quickly at this moment"-she told him from inside the bathroom and Anirudh shook his head at her behaviour and quickly got ready to go have breakfast downstairs. Deciding to leave the matter.

"Dada, where is Boudi? We are getting late.."-Batuk asked him as for the first time, Bondita was late to come down. He was quite worried about her.

"Her medicines were quite strong. So, she slept for longer than usual. Have your breakfast and get ready. I'll drop you to school today."-Batuk frowned at his words for he didn't understand his words about only him going to school.

"What about Boudi?"-he asked Anirudh afraid of his answer.

"She won't go to school today. I don't want her to worsen her injury"-he told Batuk with a stern gaze and Batuk afraid of his scolding sat down for breakfast with a pout.

"If Bahu misses her school. Then her teachers won't be angry right!!"-Trilochon asked worried about Bondita receiving punishment and Anirudh frowned at his Kaka for the man that was against her receiving education was so concerned about her education and schooling today.