Chapter Eight

SELINA

It was now the debate. Robert was right, and he got Emma to run for Sheriff. I was sitting next to Bruce in the second row. Bruce grasped for my hand and held on to it tightly as Archie, the town shrink, went up on stage. "Tragedy has brought us here, but we are faced with this decision and now we ask only that you listen with an open mind and please vote your conscience. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to our candidates. Sidney Glass and Emma Swan. Glass-Swan. Sounds like something a decorator would make you buy," Archie laughed. He was the only one who laughed at his own joke. I smiled weakly at him. "Wow. Crickets. Okay." Archie cleared his throat. "Mr. Glass, your opening statement?" Archie left the podium and Mr. Glass came up, straightening his tie.

"I just want to say that if elected, I want to serve as a reflection of the best qualities of StoryBrooke. Honesty, neighborliness, and strength. Thank you." I removed my hand from Bruce's and I started to clap lightly.

Mr. Glass removed himself from the podium and Archie came forward yet again clapping along with the rest of the crowd. "And Emma Swan?"

Emma then came up to the podium. I smiled at her. "You guys all know I have what they call a uh troubled past," she started. "But you've been able to overlook it because of the um hero thing. But here's the thing. The fire was a set- up." My eyes widened at this new knowledge. The audience started to murmur. "Mr. Gold agreed to support me in this race, but I didn't know that meant he was going to start a fire." I glanced over at Robert who was in the audience gripping on to his cane. So that was his project that he needed to finish earlier... " I don't have definitive evidence. But I'm sure.. And the worst part of all this was.. The worst part of all this is I let you all think it was real. And I can't win that way. I'm sorry." I then watched as Robert got up from his seat and left the town hall.

I stared after him. "You better not be thinking about going after him, Selina," he said.

"He's my boss," I said. "I have to confront him."

"Emma Swan already did," said Bruce.

"And yet, I'm not Emma, I'm Selina Frost. I am going after him." I get up from my seat and I can feel eyes on me as I walk out after Robert. "What in the hell?" I questioned him. He stopped to turn around. "What was that? You set the fire? You could have killed both Regina and Emma!"

"I had to do what I had to do in order to get Miss Swan to—"

"No, no, no, no. This is not how this is gonna work," I stated. "Don't start making excuses, Robert. You see Regina plays dirty, but I don't think she'd be stupid enough to try and kill someone in this world. But you did."

"Selina," he started. "In order for people to see Miss Swan as a capable candidate, a good candidate, they had to see the hero in within her."

"So..." I tapped my foot and crossed my arms. "You started a fire and just assumed that they would both make it out alive?"

"My judgment never fails, Selina," said Robert.

"Listen, I know Regina isn't the best person, but she doesn't deserve being burnt alive," I said.

"Selina..."

"Next time, you have to confide with me first. I thought we were business mates," I said. "I will see you tomorrow." I then storm off to the election booths leaving him standing alone.

+++

"Emma," said Robert. "How lovely to see you." He was cleaning something behind the counter while I was working on inventory. "I'm flattered you'd take the time off your busy schedule for me," he said. I chuckled. "What can we do for you, Sheriff?"