Chapter Thirty-Nine

Rumple's POV

"Hello Papa," I stated, as I watched as Pan had woken up. I was sitting by his bedside, looking over him.

"Thought you'd kill me in my sleep, laddie," he said, sitting up. Maybe I should have. "I guess you changed your—" He looked down at his wrist that had the cuff on it. "Oh wait. I see." He scoffs. "You've taken away my magic. That's why it's so easy for you to strut around and pose now, isn't it?" he questioned, looking me up and down.

"I wanted to talk to you," I started. I couldn't believe I had to explain myself. "I wanted you to see me and think about what you've done."

Pan grinned. "Of course," he said. I furrowed my eyebrows. "To look at my son here at the end and really see him and think about what might've been. Is that what you want?" he asked. I frowned. No. That is not what I want. "Because I do," he answered himself. "I remember looking at you... the littlest babe. Helpless and all mine. Those big, big eyes full of tears... pulling at me... pulling away my name, my money, my time. Pulling away any hope of making my life into something better for myself." It's nice to see that he hasn't changed one bit. "This pink, naked, squirming little larva that wanted to eat my dreams alive and never stop! How old are you now? A couple hundred? Can't I be free of you?"

"Oh, you will be," I said, picking up my sword. "In death."

"Then, one last lesson, son. Never make a cage you can't get out of." I furrowed my eyebrows again. He ripped off the bracelet from his own wrist. My eyes widened and my jaw nearly dropped. "I made this cuff, you know," he started. I should have known... it was on Greg and Tamara after all... why didn't I think? "Doesn't work on me." Then all of the sudden, his quickly places the cuff onto my arm.

Now I really wish that I had asked Liana to stay. She could have used her ice-magic on Pan. I'm powerless now. I can feel all the magical energy draining from my body, as my legs go numb.

"Down, boy," he said, ordering me like a dog. He uses his magic to fling me against one of the shelves in the back of my shop. The back of my head then started to throb and I could already tell there was going to be a bump on my head starting to form. "Let's see how you do without magic."

I tried to crawl towards my sword, but of course, Pan kicked it away from me.
"I've come too far for this, for them," I say frantically, not thinking properly.

"For your son?" he questioned. That is not what I meant. "No. It's too late. Soon, that fine green smoke will fill their lungs and fog their brains."

"No," I mumbled.

"Not like the rest of this town," he continued. "I'm not just going to take their memories. No, because of their special meaning to you, I'm going to take their lives." I gulped. "And you won't do a thing to stop me. Do you know why? Because without magic, you are right back to where you started. The village coward."

Tears started to form in my eyes as I tried to take off the cuff. But it wasn't working. I had to do something to free myself of this, otherwise I would be of no use to anyone.

                                +++

As I was trying to take off the cuff, a memory came back to me.

I was back in the Enchanted Forest, in my dark castle. I was lighting a candle in honor of Bae's birthday. "Too many years to count, Bae. But I've counted every one." I then blew out the separate wick that I used to light the candle.

I then heard small tiny footsteps coming from behind. Liana.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't know you were in here," said Liana.