Chapter Thirteen

After the curse had broken, I ended up going back to Rumple's shop to work. It was nice of Granny to give me the job as waitress for the time being, but I really missed working with Rumple. I was standing beside Rumple hilariously watching Regina shift through all the books we had in our shop. "The library's beneath the clock tower," said Rumple. I chuckled. "You closed it, remember? When you still had power."

    "I need the book," she said, gritting her teeth. "I need to get my son back."

    "Which book?" asked Rumple. "Oh," he laughed. "So it's come down to that, eh? You need your mummy's help?"

    "Give me the book," she said again. 

    "So hostile," I grinned. She glared at me before looking back at Rumple.

    Rumple then said, "Do you really need the smell of the written word to get the magic flowing again, love? Maybe if you relaxed it would just happen."

    "I don't have time," she said. "It worked once. I know I can do it. I just..."
    "Just what?" I asked.

    "I just need a shortcut back," she said.

    "Yeah, well, Liana and I don't have time either," he said. "Leave."

    "Please," I added.

    Regina looked at me. "Well, how about that? You're guys's pleases have lost their punch."

    "Well, the fact remains," said Rumple. "Jump-starting your magic is not in our best interests."

    "You know what else isn't in your best interests? Having everyone know the enchanted forest still exists. Knowing that the three of us are keeping that little secret. You two are up to something. And it doesn't involve going back home."

    Regina tries to open up his case. Rumple stops her and makes her spell book magically appear. "Careful dearie," he said. "These are straight up spells. Rough on the system."

    Regina takes the book from him. "I don't care if they turn me green. I'm getting my son back."

    "Oh my," Rumple chuckles. Regina then turned around to face us.

    "What?"

    "It's just, holding that," Rumple pointed at the book. "I told you once you didn't look like her. But, now... Now I can see it." Regina gasps and turns around, and then leaves the shop.

    "Sweetheart," I said.

    "Yes, my love?" Rumple questioned turning towards me.

"Why don't you want Regina to know that you are looking for your son?"

    Rumple sighed. "Because dearie, my son is my other weakness, besides you that is," he said.

    I looked at him and placed my ice cold hand on his cheek. He closed his eyes at the feeling of my hand. "We're going to find him," I said. "Don't you worry."

    Rumple opened his eyes again. "How are you so confident?" he asked.

    I shrugged and he took my hand in his. "I don't know, I just am."

                        +++

    In the next three hours, Charming gave us a visit. I was helping Rumple pack some maps and some other travel necessities when the doorbell rang. "It appears when I bought that 'closed' sign, I was just throwing my money away."

    "Looks like it," David replied.

    "Sorry to hear about your wife and daughter," said Rumple, as we turned around to face David. "If you're looking for a retrieval, I'm afraid portal jumping is just outside my purview."