16.

╳╳╳

"Oh, look who decided to show up?" Minhyuk's voice made Hoseok raise his head from the screen of his laptop to the door of the meeting room. Hyungwon was standing there, one hand clutched tightly around one of the straps of his backpack, already probably aggravated by Minhyuk's poke. He didn't even realize that the youngest had entered until Minhyuk opened his mouth, having been way too zoned out for his own good.

"Can you drop it? You can scream at me another time." Hyungwon let out, taking out his things and placing them on the table. Minhyuk huffed but agreed anyway, slumping in his seat and Hoseok could sense all the insults he wanted to speak out. The younger probably wouldn't give him the chance to be pissed later either, but he seemed to know how to give Lee Minhyuk false hope.

Hoseok watched Hyungwon for a moment observantly. The younger didn't look too great; he had dark circles under his eyes and his hair was a mess, covering practically his whole face. The oldest sighed turning his attention back to whatever he was doing on the laptop. Which was just, blankly staring at it.

He eventually opened up the collective Google Doc file and the slides file they had, eyes widening in shock. He had to blink a few times to make sure he wasn't seeing shit. Hyungwon had completely finished his part on the slides and even added some notes for himself for when they had to present.

Did he do this so he didn't need to be around them?

"I did my part already, so do I really need to be here?" Hyungwon suddenly spoke up, eyes glued to the desk. Hoseok's eyes trailed to the younger from his laptop and he cleared his throat a little. "I mean..." He started but was interrupted by Minhyuk standing up. "No. And I think we'd prefer if you actually weren't here." He spat and for the first time that morning, Hyungwon raised his head so that his hair fell off of his face a little.

The damage on his face was worse than Hoseok remembered, though he hadn't observed his face much at the station. Bruising, a few cuts that looked quite bad and like Hyungwon hadn't bothered to patch them up more than disinfecting them. But that wasn't what worried him; it was the puffiness of his eyes and dark circles that had most of his attention.

It made Hoseok want to coddle the younger, tell him that it was going to be alright, but he sat back, motionless. It was as if his body refused to move, afraid. It was the same reaction he had to his father; he refused to get close since he knew that he might get hit.

But this is Hyungwon. He wouldn't do it. Why are you so scared?

His throat tightened at the realization and he wanted to hide somewhere, where not even his friends would find him. He didn't want this. Not one bit.

"Cool. I'll take my leave then." He spoke and started to pack his things back up. Minhyuk smashed his fists on the table making Hoseok jump in his seat at the loud sound. "Are you not even sorry one bit?!" The guy yelled forcing the oldest to bring his hands to his ears. "Minhyuk, please," he muttered his plead but it went on deaf ears.

"If I wasn't, I wouldn't be here," Hyungwon responded, pushing himself up slowly. "Bullshit." Minhyuk hissed, quickly circling the table to grab Hyungown by the collar. The taller stumbled slightly. "You're going to act all angelic now? Huh?!" Hoseok was quick to get up too when Minhyuk slapped the other student, the sound of skin hitting skin echoing in the room leaving all of them in silence momentarily.

Hyungwon didn't react to the hit just like last time, in fact, he looked even less surprised. He just pried Minhyuk's hands off of his clothes and sighed before tugging at his bottom lips with his teeth. "If it makes you feel better." Hyungwon then mumbled, turning the other cheek. Hoseok saw his friend truly considering a second slap but he managed to pull the guy back.