22.

╳╳╳

Hyungwon stared at himself in the bathroom mirror, his bottom lip tightly tugged between his teeth. He looked fine side from the deep purple bruising around his neck and he could've played them off as hickeys if it wasn't for his voice that was completely fucked up.

His voice had been fine hours prior to the incident and there was no sign of weakness when he was with Hoseok. But in the morning he woke up sounding like had smoked two packs of cigarettes every day for thirty years. And he wasn't even close to being thirty.

Hyungwon heaved out a sigh and closed his eyes for a moment. His mother had reasonably freaked out when he told her after getting home. She was also seemingly just as surprised about what happened as Hyungwon had been when he saw the anger flare up in his father's eyes.

He wondered, what if he hadn't ever gotten into fighting? Thanks to that, he was able to push the older man away and rip those hands from around his neck. What if he hadn't been strong enough? Would he have died then?

A knock sounded from the door and he opened his eyes, letting out a small hum. It wasn't locked so the door was pushed open, revealing his brother. Hyungwon glanced at the younger before grabbing the turtleneck he had set aside and pulling it on, easily covering the bruising. He wasn't going to bother with makeup.

"Are you okay?" Jooheon asked, walking into the room. Hyungwon nodded his head slightly letting out a low "Yeah." He had figured that their mom told Jooheon what had happened and he couldn't blame her. He was going to tell him eventually when his vocal cords worked again, but for now, he'd just have to remain quiet to not worsen the damage.

The younger man handed him a white mug with a small smile. "Mom made it." He explained and Hyungwon just grinned slightly. "Thanks," he whispered, grabbing a hold of the porcelain mug and taking a small whiff. It was chamomile tea and there was probably some honey slipped in there. 

"Why'd you stop him? I saw it while talking to Minhyuk..." Jooheon leaned on the door frame. Hyungwon shrugged his shoulders a little bit. "I mean... He's not supposed to be around you now anyway," he spoke softly, taking a small sip of the hot drink. 

"And he would've hit you. If he was pissed enough to attack me, I can't even imagine..." he trailed off, shaking his head slightly. He looked at his brother, letting out a small sigh. "I'm sorry." he then added. Jooheon likely could've handled it on his own and Minhyuk probably would've given the old man a few choice words but he still stepped in like a fool. "Don't apologize. I'm just glad it didn't turn out worse." 

"Are you sure you can go to school?" Jooheon then asked. Hyungown nodded his head, even though he knew he probably shouldn't go. But he had already missed so many classes and it would look bad if he was to stay home again. The student advisor would probably have him by his throat for his next absence.

His brother didn't look like he believed him but nodded anyway, knowing he couldn't stop him. "It's not like I talk a lot at school anyway." he grinned making the other shake his head slightly. 

The two of them left the bathroom, silently walking down the stairs. It was about time that Minhyuk would be there to pick up Jooheon. Hyungwon had a little bit of time to spare so he'd like to eat something first so that he wouldn't be starving in his first classes.

"Oh, did Changkyun mention the thing the teachers are planning?" Jooheon asked. Hyungwon rolled his eyes a little, nodding his head. He still wasn't exactly excited about the idea, but Hoseok had forced a yes out of him. He wouldn't be able to back out.

"Yeah. You're going?" He asked, smoothly walking over to the fridge and opening it. Jooheon let out a low hum as Hyungwon dug out a small yogurt cup. It would work for breakfast. "Changkyun and I were the only ones to agree in our classes, apparently." The boy chuckled, crossing his arms. "You?"