Prologue

P r o l o g u e•

——————

┏━━━ ━━━┓
Mia
┗━━━ ━━━┛

I try to run as fast as my legs can. Grasses, pine needles and stones bounce under my shoes. I try not to breathe too fast, but I'm so scared that I can't. My heart beats like a race.

I don't want to end up like her. Dead and left at the mercy of nature, where it is a coincidence whether your body will be found or not.

Behind me there is a multiple howl and I am startled. I trip over the roots of some large tree and fall to the ground.

The problem is that when you escape, when your life is at stake, you can't afford to make mistakes. One mistake and you are already one foot in the grave.

I quickly crawl behind the tree as I hear quick footsteps. Very quick steps. I put my sweaty hair away from my forehead and close my mouth to silence myself.

I just sit for a while with my eyes closed while figuring out how to escape Alpha, who wants to kill me. I don't have the slightest chance.

I run away at the last minute, because I've gained enough strength in that short time. I weave through the trees and jump over a tiny valley that rises in the middle of the forest.

A hare runs away from me, sprinting as if a predator wanted to catch it. We're very similar. The memory of Olivia flashes through my head as she tried to warn me that Zack had something planned. Something very bad.

It happened about an hour ago.

I'm late from work because it was my last day and my stupid boss let me work overtime. I walk the streets of the city because I wanted to enjoy the last moment here. After all, when I move away tomorrow.

My parents' are sending me to my aunt's house because they want to travel the world. I've never had the best relationship with them, so I wasn't so against it when they announced it to me half a year ago.

The problem arose five months later, when one bite completely changed my life. I don't know if I want to leave the pack. Lone wolves will not survive very long on their own.

Suddenly, I hear someone running towards me quickly, so I turn around to bounce the person away, but then I realize it's Olivia.

"Mia!" she grabs me firmly by the shoulders, and her voice sounds genuinely terrified.

"What's going on?" I look at her confusedly. Her blonde hair is split on her head and it forms one big bird's nest.

She sounds breathless as if she's just run the whole marathon. "We have to disappear!" she takes my wrist firmly in his hands and doesn't give me much option.

"Why?" I run after her, startled when I hear a howl. "What is it?"

"Zack, he-" she pauses and turns into an alley that has a path leading into the woods at the end.

"What to do with him?" I ask. "Did something happen to him?" I suddenly get worried about our Alpha, who is in the same year as the two of us. A long story of how he became Alpha werewolf.