Chapter 21 |A trap|

Stiles observes Mia, who has not spoken to him since they left the veterinary clinic

Stiles observes Mia, who has not spoken to him since they left the veterinary clinic. In fact, he realizes now that she wasn't much of a presence there, either. "Mia?"

She mechanically puts her jacket down on his chair and runs her fingers through her hair before pulling it back into a long ponytail.

"Em?" Stiles says softly, and closes the door behind him.

This finally draws her attention and furrows her eyebrows in confusion. She had not heard such a diminutive of her name in a long time. "How did you say my name?"

"Em," he suddenly gets nervous. "Mia, what's going through your mind?"

"Em seems like a nice nickname," she admits, realizing that Stiles was nervous because of her reaction.

"Talk to me," he walks over and tucks a lock of hair behind her ear. "I'd like to know what's going on."

"Why?"

"Because somehow I'd like to help you. But it'll only work if you let me," Stiles watches Mia tears her gaze away from him and starts looking on the floor. "I don't want to know because I'm curious. I want to know so I can be there for you."

Mia sits down on his bed and starts playing with the rings on her fingers. "I don't know if there's anything wrong with me," she admits.

Stiles feels slightly taken aback. He doesn't understand what she means. "What are you talking about?"

"Everywhere I go, people die," she puts her hands on her face, covering it. "What if it's me? What if I wasn't here? Maybe Boyd and Erica wouldn't have to get lost. And now she's dead. She's dead, Stiles, and I-"

Stiles kneels down in front of her and places his hands on her legs. "If you weren't here, me, Derek, Lydia and who knows who else would be dead," he tells her, wiping a tear from her face. "If you hadn't been here, Erica would have died anyway. It's not your fault they decided to run. You understand?"

She swallows and closes her eyes for a moment. "I guess so."

"That's good, because I don't want you blaming yourself for something you couldn't control. You're the best thing that's happened to us in a while, and you can't understand it," he says, moving his hand to her right cheek.

She throws her arms around him and climbs down from the bed. "I'll never understand why I didn't like you at first."

"Yeah, if someone had told me six months ago that I am going to date a werewolf who is perhaps more sarcastic than I am, I would have laughed in their face," he says, and then realizes that he said the two are dating. "Um, well-"

Mia pulls away from him at a small distance and gives him a big smile. "Yeah, I'd have the same reaction if someone told me I am now dating Stiles Stilinski," she pauses, watching his expression for a moment before kissing him lightly on the lips.