Chapter 5 |Bestiary|

•C h a p t e r   f i v e•

C h a p t e r f i v e•

-B e s t i a r y-

------

Mia's eyeing Stiles' car, which is six feet off the ground because it's being repaired. "Why did you force me to be here with you?"

Stiles rolls his eyes and folds his arms across his chest. "I didn't force you, you didn't have to come here with me," he says, leaning against the wall, trying not to let his attention show.

"I would have left as soon as we got here, but I forgot my phone in your Jeep."

"Maybe that's a good thing, you know? At least I'll make sure you don't go kill Erica," Stiles mutters.

"I'd like to do that because I still have the smell of garbage in my nose, but I've decided to ignore her," Mia shrugs.

"You? Are you serious?"

"What do you mean?" Mia scowls at Stiles, not understanding in the slightest what he meant.

"Just that you don't strike me as the kind of person who ignores-" he stops, looking at the mechanic who manages his car there. He walks over quickly, leaving Mia behind him. "Hey! Hey? Wh-what do you think you're doing? All I needed was a starter!" he bends over to get a better look at him.

"Yeah, but it looks like your whole exhaust system has gotta be replaced here." He doesn't even bother to look up from the car.

"Why do I get the feeling you're slightly overestimating the damage?" Stiles looks at him suspiciously, knowing that the cost of the repair will be more than the price of the Jeep.

The man with the vest, whose name is Tucker, shrugs. "It's probably gonna run you around like twelve-hundred in parts and labor."

Mia walks over beside Stiles and watches him look at Tucker in disbelief. "Are you kidding? This thing doesn't have a catalytic converter!" he sighs. "And yes, I know what a catalytic converter is."

Mia has no idea what they're talking about, as she doesn't know anything about cars. Tucker looks haughtily at Stiles, knowing that he doesn't know much about cars. He's not the first person to think he knows everything, and meanwhile he knows absolutely nothing. "Do you know what a 'limited slip differential' is?"

"No..."

He snorts and looks at them from the car. "Yeah, it's coming on more like fifteen-hundred."

Stiles draws an angry breath. "Okay, just finish," he takes a few steps away from the car and calls after him: "I'll be back here, seething with impotent rage!"

"Try telling him anything else, maybe he'll raise it to eighteen-hundred dollars," Mia looks at him and grabs a doorknob with some nasty slime on it. "Ugh, what the hell is that?" she asks quietly. "Watch it, Stiles."